Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 17HMR split cases

17HMR split cases

Anyone else finding split cases on their 17hmr. Using CCI and Remington, no difference. Not every one. No rhyme nor reason apparent

hello,I have had this with remmie ammo,not every round but probably 4 or 5 out of 10 rounds fired I havn't used cci ammo so I cant really comment but now only use hornady and dont have a problem now,cheers lee

Quote Originally Posted by LSF View Post
    hello,I have had this with remmie ammo,not every round but probably 4 or 5 out of 10 rounds fired I havn't used cci ammo so I cant really comment but now only use hornady and dont have a problem now,cheers lee
    Sorry should have mentioned tried a box of Hornady, no difference.

happens with all of them.
    they are all made in the same place anyway
    doesnt affect the POI and they still eject.

just another reason to get a hornet!

Wondered whether it might be due to crud around the chamber stopping the case from fully seating, leaving a little space for the case to expand to fill the gap. Any thoughts.

hello ,I was told the bullets/heads were made at the same factory but given different coloured tips for the different ammo companies i.e gold tips for remmie & red for hornady and then loaded into their cases in their own factories hence the difference in performance/grouping etc,lee

hello ,I was told the bullets/heads were made at the same factory but given different coloured tips for the different ammo companies i.e gold tips for remmie & red for hornady and then loaded into their cases in their own factories hence the difference in performance/grouping etc,lee
    I thought is was all made in the same factory, just a different stamp on the case a colour tip. Anybody tried FMJ ammo. Is there a similar problem

Not found any difference in POI when using the same weight of bullet. There is a difference between 17 -20 gr

A friend of mine very recently nearly lost an eye due to faulty ammo in a .17. He was out rabbit shooting and the last round fired out of the mag was underloaded and without his knowledge the head lodged up the barrel. The next round split the stock and although the bolt held, just, he recieved some nasty powder burns to his eye.

The rifle is a right off, but he has not lost his eye, luckily!! The ammon manufactuerer has admitted responsability and has offered to buy him a brand new rifle and scope.
    Last edited by sikamalc; 27-10-2011 at 12:42. Reason: missing word

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    A friend of mine very recently nearly lost an eye due to faulty ammo in a .17. He was out rabbit shooting and the last round fired out of the mag was underloaded and without his knowledge the head lodged up the barrel. The next round split the stock and although the bolt held, just, he recieved some nasty powder burns to his eye.

The rifle is a right off, but he has not his eye, luckily!! The ammon manufactuerer has admitted responsability and has offered to buy him a brand new rifle and scope.
    Thanks for that reminder.
    I have noticed the difference in the report from diferent rounds, maybe the loads are a bit more variable than we might expect. Something to look out for.