Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: tanning deer hides alternative tanneries

  1. #1

    tanning deer hides alternative tanneries

    I have a skin I want to tan, but the highly recommended Fenland- Sheepskin company appears to have gone out of business. I see there is Wild-life products somewhere in the New Forest. Are there others? It seems a very specialised industry.

    Advice sought.

  2. #2
    DIY, baking soda and diesel.

  3. #3
    Tannerys are like hens teath these days. There is one advertised in this months BDS mag. Try Wildlife Products 01590 681185.

    Best

    Sikamalc

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by western woodsman View Post
    I have a skin I want to tan, but the highly recommended Fenland- Sheepskin company appears to have gone out of business. I see there is Wild-life products somewhere in the New Forest. Are there others? It seems a very specialised industry.

    Advice sought.
    Google it. Its not at all hard to do it yourself and you will be able to to it time and time again. Im saving up skins at the moment to make a bed throw with. If you have spare freezer space then just stick it into a bag and freeze it until your ready, if not then salt the flesh side and stretch it out Native Indian style !

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
    Google it. Its not at all hard to do it yourself and you will be able to to it time and time again. Im saving up skins at the moment to make a bed throw with. If you have spare freezer space then just stick it into a bag and freeze it until your ready, if not then salt the flesh side and stretch it out Native Indian style !
    Not to put to fine a point on it but just salting it is not tanning that is curing and it will obsorb moisture from the room, better to tan with Lutan FN.

  6. #6
    interesting your baking soda and deisel recipe would you be kind enough to share it with me as i got a lovely fox skin in my freezer from last winter that i would like to keep regards dave

  7. #7
    heres a link from an earlier thread it does work well ,atb wayne Diesel Tanning?

  8. #8
    many thanks i will giv it a try

  9. #9
    I found another company yesterday that does any hide with hair on for 30 a go professionally, this is Devonia Products. But I am interested in the DIY, I do the butchering and all myself so why not?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by western woodsman View Post
    I found another company yesterday that does any hide with hair on for 30 a go professionally, this is Devonia Products. But I am interested in the DIY, I do the butchering and all myself so why not?
    Devonia Products are the last remaining company to do professional tanning.

    I have 3 hides with them. They are not unreasonable price wise. I will let people know in 3 months when the hides are back....

    CA

Similar Threads

  1. Deer skin hides? anyone had one "tanned"?
    By sauer in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2010, 14:11
  2. Alternative to DSC 1
    By mack in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 11:09
  3. Hides/Skins
    By 243varmint in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19-07-2008, 20:51
  4. venison alternative!!
    By duggers in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-05-2008, 21:29
  5. Portable hides
    By Kent in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 11:29

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •