Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Someone elses home loads ?

  1. #1

    Someone elses home loads ?

    Whilst i would be shy of using someone elses home loads unless i knew and totally trusted the person, if someone has a load worked up for the same calibre/make of rifle as mine, is it safe to try loads that i have loaded to their data? i.e if they have a load worked out that gives good performance with no signs of over pressure in their rifle, would it be safe to load my owm fire formed rounds to the same spec I.E powder/bullet and C.O.L wise and try them in mine or should i start with a slightly reduced powder load?

    Cheers

    Tikkat3

  2. #2
    Although it would probably be ok personally I would always go back to published starting loads for the powder/bullet specified as every rifle is different, humans make errors etc and 'probably ok' isn't really good enough when you could lose your hands, your face or your life!

    There is no reason why you can't quickly progress back up to their load data in intervals so you can check for pressure along the way.

  3. #3
    my friend and i both had howa 223 varmints i developed a load for mine and also for him but using his own brass in his own rifle they both shot fine

    even when we upped it in 0.2gn increments to tighten our groups they both shot fine no pressure signs even though they were on the way to being hot loads you might be wise to try reduced load then work up like we did hope this is of some help

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    Whilst i would be shy of using someone elses home loads unless i knew and totally trusted the person, if someone has a load worked up for the same calibre/make of rifle as mine, is it safe to try loads that i have loaded to their data? i.e if they have a load worked out that gives good performance with no signs of over pressure in their rifle, would it be safe to load my owm fire formed rounds to the same spec I.E powder/bullet and C.O.L wise and try them in mine or should i start with a slightly reduced powder load?

    Cheers

    Tikkat3
    I have been reloading for most of my life and one of the first things I learned, and have passed on, is that you never shoot someone else's reloads in your rifle. A load that is perfectly safe in one rifle may not be safe at all in another due to variances in the rifles. I won't reload for another's rifle for just that reason, unless I have the rifle at hand so I can work up loads myself. Another aspect is that people are human and make mistakes. I can live with the consequences of my own mistakes but don't like saddling myself with those of others.~Muir

  5. #5
    Cheers lads, pretty much thought the same, i'll start some loads 3grains down from his data and work up from there, if anyones near me in kent, i'd welcome a bit of assistance/guidance with this, i have a 100yd range to use and test on but am struggling a bit with the load development

    Cheers

    Tikkat3

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    one of the first things I learned, and have passed on, is that you never shoot someone else's reloads in your rifle. A load that is perfectly safe in one rifle may not be safe at all in another due to variances in the rifles. I won't reload for another's rifle for just that reason, unless I have the rifle at hand so I can work up loads myself. Another aspect is that people are human and make mistakes. I can live with the consequences of my own mistakes but don't like saddling myself with those of others.~Muir
    X2 A proper reply.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    Cheers lads, pretty much thought the same, i'll start some loads 3grains down from his data and work up from there, if anyones near me in kent, i'd welcome a bit of assistance/guidance with this, i have a 100yd range to use and test on but am struggling a bit with the load development

    Cheers

    Tikkat3
    Where abouts in Kent are you TikkaT3 ? I get down that way a fair bit.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

  8. #8
    100% with Muir on this one. How many know it is actually illegal also.

  9. #9
    Its not illegal to copy someone's load recipe!
    Just not wise unless you work up...

  10. #10
    sorry did not make it clear it is illigal to load and hand rounds on.

Similar Threads

  1. Free home wanted weimaraner dog free to good home
    By fox slayer in forum Dogs
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 17-09-2011, 16:19
  2. First home loads .308
    By glogin in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-04-2011, 15:07
  3. First try of my first home loads
    By oilmanjd in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-01-2011, 00:01
  4. Custom Home Loads
    By nielaj in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22-01-2010, 07:41
  5. Home loads for .243?
    By Jason in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 18:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •