Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: start of doe season

start of doe season

I know the Doe season does not kick off until 1st Nov in England, but in Scotland it started 21st Oct. When do you guys feel it is 'right' to start shooting doe with kid, that is, if it's for 'sport' and not to hit a cull target?

Just curious as I've seen quite a bit of doe/kid stalking this last week and feel that even though it's officially 'open season', it's still a bit early...bearing my comments in mind about not being for culling/management purposes.

Well depends whether your talking about the kids or does. I dont like leaving kids without a doe before Dec 1st. I dont like shooting does past the end of February for sport either. On the flip side of that, if your shooting the kids AND the doe, then from the start of the season is fine, whether its Scotland/England.

If your controlling numbers then all bets are off..

The first heavy snow fall we got last year was end of November. If there is a chance just now I would take it because you may not get the opportunity later if the weather predictions I have read prove correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    The first heavy snow fall we got last year was end of November. If there is a chance just now I would take it because you may not get the opportunity later if the weather predictions I have read prove correct.
    I too read that the coming winter is going to be harsh. Is that what you mean?

Start on the 21st, shoot the kids first. Simples
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    I too read that the coming winter is going to be harsh. Is that what you mean?
    Yep.

I read that some leading weather expert predicted last winters weather accurately, from the snow to the low temperatures, and the cheery b*****d is saying he thinks it will be worse ​this year!

Is it the same one that predicted we would have a good summer?

doe stalk planned for this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Is it the same one that predicted we would have a good summer?
    Ha, ha...

If theres a cull target get on with it its called management