Thread: Nail clippers for dogs

Nail clippers for dogs

Having moved to a house where the local walks are more grass and soft ground than road, I have found my dogs claws to be needing trimmed.

Can anyone recommend me a decent set of nail clippers to use on the dogs?

I use these. My dogs live indoors so nail trimming is a regular job. They have a 'shield' to prevent you cutting too much of the nail. If your dog is lightly coloured you can see the core of the nail much easier than on black dogs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAIL-CLIPP...item2568c37a59
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    I use these. My dogs live indoors so nail trimming is a regular job. They have a 'shield' to prevent you cutting too much of the nail. If your dog is lightly coloured you can see the core of the nail much easier than on black dogs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAIL-CLIPP...item2568c37a59
    Those kind are fine. The first thing I do is take a pair of pliers and pull the bit off that's supposed to stop you cutting too much off - it just ,means you can't see what you are doing!

Chuck them away when they become blunt otherwise they squeeze the nail before cutting and the dog will resent it.

Get a caustic/shaving pencil then if you cut too much off you can stop the blood!

CAUSTIC SILVER NITRATE PENCIL stop bleeding nails claws | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Those kind are fine. The first thing I do is take a pair of pliers and pull the bit off that's supposed to stop you cutting too much off - it just ,means you can't see what you are doing!

Chuck them away when they become blunt otherwise they squeeze the nail before cutting and the dog will resent it.

Get a caustic/shaving pencil then if you cut too much off you can stop the blood!

CAUSTIC SILVER NITRATE PENCIL stop bleeding nails claws | eBay
    Or rub the cut nail on a bar of soap. Of course if you hadn`t broke the plate off you wouldn`t have cut too much off in the first place. Your dog will be much more appreciative!!
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

If you want some really sharp cutters for cutting dogs claws that dont get blunt and last a lifetime buy a set of electricians cable shears (not cutters shears) they dont have a stop on them but they cut a damn sight better than the "proper" dog nail clippers

Quote Originally Posted by bbrc View Post
    If you want some really sharp cutters for cutting dogs claws that dont get blunt and last a lifetime buy a set of electricians cable shears (not cutters shears) they dont have a stop on them but they cut a damn sight better than the "proper" dog nail clippers
    Thats what i have used, spot on with that advise

Attachment 10058
    these are the mutts nuts http://www.cablecraft.co.uk/search.p...Fcgc4QodbSH4mg

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    Having moved to a house where the local walks are more grass and soft ground than road, I have found my dogs claws to be needing trimmed.

Can anyone recommend me a decent set of nail clippers to use on the dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Or rub the cut nail on a bar of soap. Of course if you hadn`t broke the plate off you wouldn`t have cut too much off in the first place. Your dog will be much more appreciative!!
    basil.
    I used the bar the first time I trimmed my dogs nails, Big Mistake! claret everywhere! how can a standard clearance be ok for different sizes of dog and claw? since then, I still use the cutters, I just shine a torch through the nail to get an idea where the quick is, and as I have to do it every 2-3 weeks I'm getting it down to only 3 people per pooch :p
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Cheers folks, I've ordered myself a set of clippers and a caustic silver nitrate pencil (just in case).