Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grey Squirrel must die !

Grey Squirrel must die !

Hi, I have been asked if I would be willing to kill a Squirrel for a customer of mine. No problems there but the logistics require the use of a cage trap and not a gun owing to the central city location. I say cage trap as they (rather forward thinking types) would also like to eat the little chap too ! one can only admire such thrift in these hard times
    Whilst I appreciate that Grey Squirrels are vermin and should thus be treated as such I do not wish to cause the nut muncher undue suffering, nor do I wish to break the law by causing suffering to the little fellow. I also need to do this discretely because I cannot have their rather smart 'city type' neighbors becoming upset by such ' barbaric brutality' !
    My questions are as follows :

Do Squirrels squeal allot once caught in the cage even if there is food and water ?

I intend to check the cage every 5 to 8 hrs, is this too long ?

Upon catching the Squirrel I intend to put the cage and Squirrel in a cloth bag (allowing plenty of air circulation) and then drive it to a private field 15 mins drive away and finally dispatch it with a 177 air rifle pellet in the back of its nut !

Any information on the law surrounding this would be happily received and any improvements on my chosen methods would also be gladly implemented.

Best wishes and clean shots, Olaf.

There are squirrel traps that will trap them and kill them at the same time so no fear of the squeeling.

Dave

I do humane dispatch for a wild life trust.
    Legally the traps must be checked every 24 hrs. Twice a day is better. Why not get the trap where your customer can keep an eye on it eg in sight of a house window, they can call you when they get one.
    No they don't squeal in the trap. suggest your clients cover the trap with a black bin bag it will then sit quietly in the trap. It may grunt a bit when you disturb it. I wouldn't recommend decanting it into a bag, they can chew through a bag if left in too long. If you put the trap into an old fertiliser sack you can carry it discretely to you car. Very easy to kill in the trap. You can do it either in the boot of your car or garage or the field, wherever is discrete. Just let it settle for a minute or two, they usually go very quiet if you are quiet and still. A standard airrifle single shot to the head is all that is required. Open the trap afterwards and shake it out into a Tesco carrier bag, or any other disposable handy bag. clean the trap and return.
    Humane method approved no chance of complaint.
    I actually use a Crossman CO2 pistol running at 5.5 and it does the job a easily. It is a little more manageable at close range than using a rifle.
    Trust this helps

As far as I know squirrels go out on the search for nuts. If you are going to shoot it's nut how do you know that it will have one by the time it reaches your trap and will this really kill it.

Cage trap baited with maize kernels, bait the trap and around for two or three days, make sure the trap isn't set to allow them to get used to going in and out of the trap, I would bet money that there will be more than 1 squirrel, multi catch traps very good if they are used to going in and out. Once caught run the squirrels into a thick hessian sack. You can then pin individual squirrels down near neck of the bag, as long as you have them pinned down by shoulders pull bag back to show head get hold of squirrel behind the head and break neck by pulling in the same way as you do a rabbit.

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Cage trap baited with maize kernels, bait the trap and around for two or three days, make sure the trap isn't set to allow them to get used to going in and out of the trap, I would bet money that there will be more than 1 squirrel, multi catch traps very good if they are used to going in and out. Once caught run the squirrels into a thick hessian sack. You can then pin individual squirrels down near neck of the bag, as long as you have them pinned down by shoulders pull bag back to show head get hold of squirrel behind the head and break neck by pulling in the same way as you do a rabbit.

Monty
    Can't see the sense in baiting it unset. If its going in just catch it !

Peanuts are better than maize. In urban areas they probably won't be interested in maize if peanuts are on offer in the gardens It is not an approved method to stretch its neck and if you don't do it properly could be at risk if there are prying eyes. Remeber the guy who was done for drowning one a few months back. Also they are fiddlley to catch hold and there teeth are much sharper than bunnies ouch

Once caught and sentence applied remove said said Squirrel paunch skin (bit tough and greasy though) cut through just behind rib cage cut through pelvic bone to open up legs put in hot frying pan with herbs garlic onions and a splash of propper Cider cook until golden brown and enjoy or if they prefer bung it in a saucepan with some fresh veg and boil until all you taste is the veg
    ATB Paul D

Quote Originally Posted by paul dillon View Post
    Once caught and sentence applied remove said said Squirrel paunch skin (bit tough and greasy though) cut through just behind rib cage cut through pelvic bone to open up legs put in hot frying pan with herbs garlic onions and a splash of propper Cider cook until golden brown and enjoy or if they prefer bung it in a saucepan with some fresh veg and boil until all you taste is the veg
    ATB Paul D
    I can't keep up with folk wanting a supply of the little fellers that's recycling.

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    There are squirrel traps that will trap them and kill them at the same time so no fear of the squeeling.

Dave
    yah, thanks but id like to use the Squirrel trap that I have access to without having to source a new one, also there is also the chance of the trap not killing it strait away, a problem given that the home owner is away at present. thanks for the info though.