Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting out of vehicle

Shooting out of vehicle

Does anyone have a good idea for lone shooting out of a vehicle via the (yes, open!) passenger window please?

Most of my shooting is out of high seats but I also do a fair bit of shooting from the vehicle using a piece of 6 x 2 held between the passenger seat headrest and the dashboard on which I rest my rifle.

This is fine up to 150 yards or so - but because the butt of the rifle is unsupported and my right elbow has nothing to lean on, then anything over that distance becomes a bit doubtful due to unavoidable wavering - so I don't take those shots.

I'm thinking along the lines of a small shooting table top with the wide end supported on the open window and somehow supported at the other (shooters end) either from the footwell or the central console. Might use a bipod, might not.

I'm right handed so using the driver side wing mirror as a support I don't find comfortable.

Any thought / input / ideas appreciated.

TIA

Iain
    Last edited by Eyefor; 28-10-2011 at 18:06.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

"It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Hi Si can you please give more details.

Regards

DavieH

"It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I use a sand bag on the drivers door and shoot out of that side, just means you can only shoot forward.

Neil.

Get out on the bonnet.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I friend of mine was out rabbit shooting in his Land Rover Defender and seen a rabbit to his left hand side with the lamp (roof mounted), he put the cross hairs of his scope on the rabbits head and pulled the trigger.....the stupid sod didn't put down the passener window and a 17 grain .17 HMR round smashed it to bits.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by colly1612 View Post
    I friend of mine was out rabbit shooting in his Land Rover Defender and seen a rabbit to his left hand side with the lamp (roof mounted), he put the cross hairs of his scope on the rabbits head and pulled the trigger.....the stupid sod didn't put down the passener window and a 17 grain .17 HMR round smashed it to bits.
    That's a beauty, can't stop laughing. I have a friend who was a passenger in his mates truck shooting rabbits out of the window, he pulled the trigger but bunny didn't flinch, although the wing mirror was a mess!!!

Bit of 6" plastic down pipe cut to about a foot or so, cut a slot out with a hacksaw so that it slots over your wing mirror and hold in place with a bungee. Total cost, about 3 ! You can then use the window sill as an elbow rest as the extra width given by the pipe gives you a wee bit more room.

For over bonnet you can use an old seat cushion from the tip or wherever, tape it into a roll and bungee across the bonnet. Cheap but effective and no noise or marks from a bipod.
    Last edited by Mick9abf; 30-10-2011 at 09:00.