The Way of the Sizing Die

very interesting,
just out of interest, if one neck sizes only, after how many firings would you be expected to see the extraction issues he refers to and then have to FL resize?
I understand some rounds flow forward more than others but if you trim and neck size for the same load and rifle is this going to be a problem long term for me?

very interesting,
just out of interest, if one neck sizes only, after how many firings would you be expected to see the extraction issues he refers to and then have to FL resize? QUOTE]

Does it matter?

I mean, if you target shoot only... and let's say the problem either does or doesn't arise somewhere between the first "neck-sized" reload and the last one (before you bin the brass) the worst you'll have to contend with is opening the bolt, which may prove very tricky in itself and bumping the spent case out. Not handy if you're in a competition, but not really tragic either, though potentially not very good for your prized target barrel either. On the other hand, if you are a stalker and it happens (and the odds say it will happen) you face a different set of problems, at best your day's stalking is probably over till you go and get the equipment needed to resolve the issue, at worst you've just made a non-fatal hit on an animal that you have no way shooting again, with that rifle, for quite some time... potentially, very tragic.

Early on in my reloading career I asked my reloading mentor about neck sizing only, he explained the above to me and advised that in general neck sizing offers very little meaningful gain to the game shooter but could/will eventually cause these undesirable problems...
So why risk it?

ps. Just for clarity, I only ever full length resize, but then again I'm not fond of punching any more holes in paper than it takes to develop a load and check my zero (regularly)

I brought a Lee Collet die set in 300 Win mag when I acquired a Ruger No1B in that chambering. After about 3-4 loads I found it difficult to seat the cartridges in the chamber. Luckily a friend who had brought a Brno ZKK 602 in 300 Win Mag had a normal set of dies so I toddled over to his place and borrowed his press and F/L sizer and bumped the shoulders back. Had to do this every few re-loads.

That's a really good ad for Sinclair products. Can you neck size in a FL dies set? Of course. Will it hit the cartridge body? Maybe. Will it matter? Not really. Necks usually wear out before the case body. and in any instance, the main reason for necksizing is control of consistent headspacing of the round to prevent undue stretching. Partial resizing will do that fine.

Brit: Your single shot, like a lever gun, is one of those breeching mechanisms that require a full length resizing.~Muir

Last edited:
I am not sure any of those answers really answer my question.

if you neck size only are the potential issues described real? and does the calibre dictate the speed you will come across the issue.

I have some 5x fired 270 brass that has only ever been neck sized and trimmed. to be fair trimming is often not needed. I have not had any issues either loading or unloading.

in which case why FL resize?

I have a 243 and understand they stretch more but have not had it long enough to test the multiple fired neck sized cases. interested to know though

Muir I fully understood the issues with the Ruger No1. Sadly it had to go to swing a trade to acquire some antiques, 3 DWM M93 Mausers, not how much stretching will depend largely upon the difference on chamber and dies and just how much working of the cases is required.

very interesting,
just out of interest, if one neck sizes only, after how many firings would you be expected to see the extraction issues he refers to and then have to FL resize?
I understand some rounds flow forward more than others but if you trim and neck size for the same load and rifle is this going to be a problem long term for me?
This is a proplem that has been highlighted for me on my R8, because there is no camming action. However, I am on my 7th reload of 243 Sako brass with no issues, but I now plan to full size before batch 8!

Muir I fully understood the issues with the Ruger No1. Sadly it had to go to swing a trade to acquire some antiques, 3 DWM M93 Mausers, not how much stretching will depend largely upon the difference on chamber and dies and just how much working of the cases is required.

Brit: By "stretching" I meant the unintended back and forth from ill adjusted FL sizing then firing, not the Ruger action. I had a custom #3 Ruger and had no issues because I partial FL resized according to RCBS's time tested instructions.

Bewsher500: I agree with your mentor. It's not necessary to neck size hunting loads and it can come to be a problem if you aren't careful. Like seating to the lands, it's a practice that is highly overrated with regard to accuracy. What is necessary when Fl resizing and oft overlooked by the uninformed, is to understand that just screwing the die down hard to the shell holder while FL resizing isn't the proper way to do it. I always do in increments until the bolt just closes on an empty case with no resistance. In other words, the case is FL resized with regard to my chamber. Accuracy is better, velocities more consistent (all other things being equal) and cases last longer.~Muir

Brit: By "stretching" I meant the unintended back and forth from ill adjusted FL sizing then firing, not the Ruger action. I had a custom #3 Ruger and had no issues because I partial FL resized according to RCBS's time tested instructions.

Bewsher500: I agree with your mentor. It's not necessary to neck size hunting loads and it can come to be a problem if you aren't careful. Like seating to the lands, it's a practice that is highly overrated with regard to accuracy. What is necessary when Fl resizing and oft overlooked by the uninformed, is to understand that just screwing the die down hard to the shell holder while FL resizing isn't the proper way to do it. I always do in increments until the bolt just closes on an empty case with no resistance. In other words, the case is FL resized with regard to my chamber. Accuracy is better, velocities more consistent (all other things being equal) and cases last longer.~Muir

Bewsher's mentor said it too did he? I'll have to reread to find where that was :D

Bewsher500: I agree with your mentor. It's not necessary to neck size hunting loads and it can come to be a problem if you aren't careful.

not sure I have a mentor.
do you mean "it is not necessary to FULL LENGTH sze hunting loads" above? otherwise I am still confused.

my question is:
why FL size if you don't have a problem with chambering/ejecting?

The amount of sizing you and you rifle will be happy with varies in my experience. I had problems with sizing cases in my sporterised Swedish Mauser tried everything finally took the dies back to the shop who returned them to the importers and as far as I am aware the makers. I got a new set back which gave none of the problems so it seems i had a faulty die.

With my 303 British dies I set them to full length resize as I have several rifles chambered in 303 British and cannot be arsed to keep adjusting the dies. Funnily enough I have yet to experience a case separation in the 303 with a hand-loaded cartridge. Had a few poor quality milsurp partially separate but not a hand-load. Now I might be losing a bit of grouping performance by not readjusting for each rifle but I can live with that.

I also full length resize the 270 Winchester as again having several rifles chambered for it it's a PITA to keep adjusting each time. I do have different case makes for certain .270's as I had a nice batch of them and it means I can easily see which loads were made up for which rifle. Of course all this is moot now.

not sure I have a mentor.
do you mean "it is not necessary to FULL LENGTH sze hunting loads" above? otherwise I am still confused.

my question is:
why FL size if you don't have a problem with chambering/ejecting?

I am sorry! I need to quit posting when I first wake up! I got Tamus' and your posts melded together. You don't need to FL resize but must be aware that neck sizing might lead to chambering problems eventually. If you aren't having any issues, carry on until you do. I have a 7x57 I have never Fl resized for. The necks wear out before cartridge fit is an issue. Neck sizing isn't necessary for accuracy in hunting loads. Fl or partial FL sized ammo can shoot just as well. Sorry about the confusion.~Muir

Last night reloaded some .223 and .243. Just neck size the .223, and trim but often as not nothing to remove. These are Lapua cases, several years old and still fine.

Reloaded some once fired .243 Remmington brass, with F/L dies all had to be trimmed, couldn't believe how much effort it took to resize them CF the .223.

I think they will all need to be resized and trimmed after each use, so in ref to the original Q depends what calibre and the load you shoot.

D

Back