375 h&h

Is .375 H&H over gunning it for driven wild boar ?

Regards

Sticks

I wouldn't say over gunning it, no. There are more popular, smaller cartridges of course but plenty of pigs fall to .375 H&H too I'm sure!

Alex

.375 h&h is not over gunning for wildboar (9.3x74r & my favourite the 9.3x62) are not far behind the .375 h&h and they are deemed as common for driven hunts. Just stay clear of safari grade heads and use something soft or you'll be having problems with ricochets!

awesome cartridge !
great for driven game simmilar recoil to a .300wm in a decent balanced rifle
Im using 250gr barnes ttsx at around 2900fps in mine
recently shot a whitetail buck with very minimal meat damage and stopped it in its tracks

Norma Oryx is a great bullet. I shoot 180grn hand loads in my .308. Very accurate and the 2 i have recovered from moose had a retained weight of over 95%. I shoot them in my 7x57R as well. Would i buy a .357 H&H for boar or moose ? No. But what ever rings your bell ;)

I shot a moose a week ago with the .308 with 180 grn Oryx and the bullet went strait through. It has done the same with boar. How much more killing power do i need? I do a lot of walking when i'm working the dog so do i need to lug a .375 around ?
I have toyed with the idea of getting a 9.3x62 barrel for the Mauser but do i need all the extra power when the .308 do's the job OK.

Norma Oryx is a great bullet. I shoot 180grn hand loads in my .308. Very accurate and the 2 i have recovered from moose had a retained weight of over 95%. I shoot them in my 7x57R as well. Would i buy a .357 H&H for boar or moose ? No. But what ever rings your bell ;)

I already have the .375 H&H for work and Africa, If suitable I want to use it driven, so I don't have to go buy a new rifle !!

I shot a moose a week ago with the .308 with 180 grn Oryx and the bullet went strait through. It has done the same with boar. How much more killing power do i need? I do a lot of walking when i'm working the dog so do i need to lug a .375 around ?
I have toyed with the idea of getting a 9.3x62 barrel for the Mauser but do i need all the extra power when the .308 do's the job OK.

I have a .308 and find it's perfect on reds and sika so it has nothing to proove. I was worried though that as a 'military' calibre I might have opportunities abroad in those places where I wouldn't be able to take it. I didn't want something of similar power so I stepped up although I wouldn't have got it if France and some others were ok with the .308.

awesome cartridge !
great for driven game simmilar recoil to a .300wm in a decent balanced rifle
Im using 250gr barnes ttsx at around 2900fps in mine
recently shot a whitetail buck with very minimal meat damage and stopped it in its tracks

I’ve done some work with the Barnes Triple Shock "X" bullets - I used 300gr TSX in my .416 rem Blaser / Schmidt PMII DT and it shot like a dream out to 400 yards. The plan was to use it on Browns in Alaska (but the trip was unfortunately canceled). When I used the 250gr's in the 9.3x62 I found them very accurate but they didn’t open up enough on the boar and the outfitter said they ricocheted very easily.

If you want penetration and weight retention for heavy game, TSX is the way to go - with the boar I like something that expands well - you will get marginal shot placements on running game (it’s the law of averages and people who say they can hit every pig spot on every time are liars or haven’t shot enough to comment yet) By having a bit of pop with your shot they are more likely to drop on the spot as long as you are somewhere near.
With regards to heads for the .375H&H ~ Norma Oryx or Woodliegh soft point would be the way to go if I had one. Nosler partitions are also a good choice although I use Nosler 250gr ballistic tips in the '9.3' with great success.:D

Back