Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much force did this take

how much force did this take

evening lads and ladies

whilst on holiday in devon we came across some fallow deer in the grounds of a castle near exeter. only when i put the pictures on my computer did i notice that the antler of this buck is actually broken. how often does this happen during the rutting seasonAttachment 10083Attachment 10084Attachment 10085
    the last pic is of the buck i suspect is the stongest in the herd. although you cant see it from the photo he was surrounded by doe's and the one with the broken antler was in a group of batchulers. any ideas how much force it takes to brake an antler like this

regards pj

Powderham castle by any chance??
    Last edited by basil; 29-10-2011 at 22:10.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

More than your powers of observation

yes powderham castle. as for powers of observation had i had my bins i might of known sooner. just couldnt persuade the wife that it needed culling

Not sure why it would necessarily require culling. It has a broken antler, it is not injured. No doubt next year it will have a perfectly normal heath set of antlers.

was only pulling your leg. with the deer in a park situation like that i realise a proper cull plan would of course be needed and the animals studied and the right ones selected to be culled. i did notice that one antler was shorter than the other and thought it might have been formed that way. i meant to say only when i saw the picture as large as we can see it now did i notice that the end of the broken antler was bloodied and fresh

One of our Fallow bucks broke his antler last year, but that was in a fight with our big Red stag. Antler is extremely tough, very strong and not brittle, so it takes a heck of a lot of force to break one.

He'll be fine next year, not a bad head on him either.

Plenty of prickets in amongst them a couple of weeks ago when i photographed this chap.

and these.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

if he can hold a bunch of does with one antler just by grunting and sheer presants of being theres not much wrong with the boy