Spanish Monteria

N.F.W.M

Has anyone had experience of a Spanish Monteria hunt.

If so what was it like ?

Cheers

Sticks

I haven't been to a spanish one , but the portugese monteria is very similar, sometimes its hetic the moment the dogs are let off, sometimes its not, but it is an amazing experiance even if you shoot nothing.
If you draw a good peg it can be amazing with pigs, deer and mouflon running everywhere and you have to be on the top of your game to make the most of the day as a lot of it is close quarter hunting, very intense
I was on a monteria in feb and it consisted of 30 hunters, 200 dogs and 50 beaters, each hunter was limited to 3 boar per stand , at the final whistle 90 boar and 7 mouflon were grassed, quite an incredible sight.
if you get the chance to go on one then do so, you wont regret it.
only down side is you could have some large calibre bullets wizzing past you.
HH

I did one a couple of years ago and I loved it. Great experience all be it a bit hectic. Over the weekend we shot 200 animals 14 to my own rifle.

I can't wait till round 2.

Touring northern Spain a few weeks ago I bought a copy of 'Caza Mayor' because it had a freebie DVD majoring on jabali. Main feature is Monteria en Cuidad Real - mas de 130 jabalies. With other subjects as boar in the snow (Eastern Europe), and mouflon in El Alentego - about an hour and a half running time in total.

It's in Spanish and Portuguese but I can try and burn a copy if you want. PM me.

Not true "Monteria", that's dogs and daggers only and I'm not sure how mainstream that is these days (mores the pity) but here's a nice video montage of snapshots of a modern Monteria.

You have to hand it to the continentals every time, they start with the hunters' breakfast, then the briefing and the allocating of pegs, then the sport, then the count up, the veneration of the game and the awarding of recognition to the most succesful hunters and finally the shindig after where all the stories get told and everyone gets well fed and pleasantly tight.

It all knocks into a cocked hat the average bloke's desperate rush to the start of a game shoot, quick natter, a days shooting (maybe including a pork pie and a wee sherbet) then offski, that's becoming the typical phezzie syndicate here.

Going in November to Seville for Monteria, can't wait, boar, red stags and hinds.

Moose

Touring northern Spain a few weeks ago I bought a copy of 'Caza Mayor' because it had a freebie DVD majoring on jabali. Main feature is Monteria en Cuidad Real - mas de 130 jabalies. With other subjects as boar in the snow (Eastern Europe), and mouflon in El Alentego - about an hour and a half running time in total.

It's in Spanish and Portuguese but I can try and burn a copy if you want. PM me.

my mates the editor, a great guy, going back over in dec and maybe feb, can't wait

Back