Only in America.

RED-DOT

Shot with a .22 rimfire apparently......

228658_107393726014502_100002316240064_76119_3646835_n.jpg

think i may have been armed with a little more than my rimmy for that piggy ,wouldnt want to have met him coming down one of my feed rides :D

I worked in Iran in 1978 and my boss shot one that was 11' from the tip of the tail to his snout... very tasty as the locals don't eat them.

I have read quite a few old hunting books and the .22 has actually accounted for its fair share of quite large animals over the years. (some actually pretty hard to believe)

George.

In 1910 a North Indian sqaw shot and killed a Grizzly bear with a 22rf, three shots in the head, she was hunting squirrels when the bear attacked her, some reports said the bear actually fell dead on top of her, although this was latter thought to be a dramatization of the original story.

While hunting in NZ a couple of years ago our guide used two Hornets one with a scope one open sighted for all his hunting including red deer and Boar, he had 11 other CF rifles to choose from, but he said all were no more dead than when shot with a Hornet so long as you hit them in the lug hole.

ATB

Tahr

Saw a program about the 'feral pig plague' on Nat Geo the other week and there was a guy shooting them from a helicopter with a .22CF.

The truck in the photo is in the style of the Aussie ones too.

When butchering we use a 22LR to kill the hogs. None that big, but even hogs half that size go down without an argument if you plant a 40 grain Hi Vel in it's forehead.~Muir

With that Toyota rig and the background it makes me think it's in Australia. Lots of pigs shot in QLD with .22lr, a lot of the time it's all they've got on them out on the stations when they're out checking the waters. Where did you find it mate?

Does look like an old style Hi-Lux "tin tray" doesn't it!

No mate it is a Landcruiser pick up, I had an import one late 80s early 90s with a 4lt diesel fitted with a aftermarket turbo conversion excellent towing tool. It is the machine that Toyota built there reputation for reliability on before the Hi-Lux.

ATB

Tahr

Why not .22LR?
I've only been shooting one for about a year, but a lot of research and reading around the subject leads me to think that the .22 is a vastly underated calibre in the UK. The emphasis nowadays seems to be on firepower rather than fieldcraft, but surely if you can get close enough...?
Lots of info from 30+ years ago states "There's no UK quarry that you can't reasonably shoot with a .22LR", but recent info is very different. I don't suppose the quarry or the gun have changed, but other things have. Legislation, poorer fieldcraft, less patience etc etc ?

No mate it is a Landcruiser pick up, I had an import one late 80s early 90s with a 4lt diesel fitted with a aftermarket turbo conversion excellent towing tool. It is the machine that Toyota built there reputation for reliability on before the Hi-Lux.

ATB

Tahr

Quite right, I stand corrected! And indeed the back bone of rural Australia. Was tooling around the Territory in one and it was great fun!

ATB,

Scrummy

i'm sure i seen that picture on a ozzy hog dogging site, i.e the dog was run in with dogs and then stuck with a knife, never use guns.
but no reason why a .22lr, at proper range and the bullet put in the proper place would'nt do it

Funny you should say that. That truck is far from common in the US and that just doesn't look like anyplace in the US. My first impression was "Australia".~Muir

Back