Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 25,06 Help

25,06 Help

i have a 25,06 Sako Finlite Fluted barrel. I was thinking of having it shortened will this effect the rifle much. The reason is it just seems far to long and i have seen other stalkers with shortened barrels. Please give your reasons for and against thanks..

Depends how far up the barrel the fluting goes, you cant really shorten the barrel in the fluted area as it will look awful.

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    Depends how far up the barrel the fluting goes, you cant really shorten the barrel in the fluted area as it will look awful.
    Yes I no what you mean but I have a North Star mod on so you would not really see the end of the barrel..

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    Dan makes an excellent point. Just think about what it would be like trying to sell the rifle with the flutes running all the way forward to the thread. The second thing to think about is Sako have made the barrel that length for a reason. Good luck. JCS

Why buy a rifle chambered for what is basically a unbelted magnum then constrict it's performance by chopping off the length. It's often quoted that a 25-06 performs best with at least a 24" barrel and 26" is better still. Methinks you would be better off with a different rifle and different cartridge. One of the short cartridges perhaps like the 260 Rem, 7-08 or even one of the WSM's would suit you better. These will probably be far better in a short barrel which seems to be your desire.

Shortening the barrel may make the rifle easier to handle, but there is a trade off in loss of performance ie velocity. This can be quite considerable in some calibres, 25/06 included. That is why most rifles in this cal. have 26 in. barrels

Is it a Finnlight 75, or an 85?

I have a Finnlight 75 in 6.5x55mm (action IV, also used for .25-06)) made with a 20 7/8" barrel, and on the whole I'd rather there was a bit more tube there rather than a bit less. I also use a Northstar moderator on this rifle.

Interestingly, the Finnlight 85 has a 22 7/16" barrel in the M action length (as used for .25-06 and 6.5x55).

Me, I'd prefer the extra inch-and-a-half.

The short magnums as mentioned by Brit have 24 3/8" barrels in both 75 and 85.
    Last edited by Dalua; 30-10-2011 at 17:54.

In the reasons against column: it will reduce your muzzle velocity, increase muzzle blast, and reduce the value of the rifle. Cartridges based on the .30-06 don't give their best in short barrels.

Reasons for: you probably won't notice any difference in performance for all practical purposes, and you'll have a slightly shorter, handier, albeit noisier and less powerful, rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Dan makes an excellent point. Just think about what it would be like trying to sell the rifle with the flutes running all the way forward to the thread. The second thing to think about is Sako have made the barrel that length for a reason. Good luck. JCS
    Exactly JCS, you are basically killing your resale value in one swoop, plus you may have to use a smaller thread than desirable as the depth of the flutes may affect your maj/min diameter on the thread.

I'd say go for it. you can always get a 'thread protector' made extra long to maintain the original look, and not have the flutes going all the way to the end of the barrel, as you said an over barrel moderator would also hide this.

Yes, as others have said you will loose velocity, but much of this can be regained by CAREFUL, reloaidng with a faster powder.

I have had this done on my 270 wsm, which was firing 150's at 3000 before chopping 4" off the end, by using a faster powder, I am now shooting the same bullet at 2930fps - neither were hot loads, and 70fps doesn't make a jot of difference at anything less than 300yards.

But I do have a much more compact, rifle that balances nicely with a mod on, and doesn't get caught up in trees/bushes any where as much as it did before.

good luck.