Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brasso Reloads

Brasso Reloads

Hi all,

Any one on here Brasso their loads on completion. I currently rub them up when there finished to make them look perfect, any one else do this? This can also help with monitoring the load (soot stain on the neck).

Is it unsafe practice, could the Brasso corrode the primer in any way?

Would it help to add Brasso to corn cob grains in my tumbler?

Thoughts?

Carl.

I am a closet brasso and cordless drill man myself. It is just a metal polish so how can it harm it. dont normally polish the arse of the bullet though as it is in the lee triimmer clamp

Whilst I don't think it's unsafe, you do need to make sure you don't leave any brasso on your ammunition. It contains ammonia which could corrode ammunition, but it is also an abrasive, albeit a very fine silica based one. You really don't want any abrasive in your action as it will act like very fine lapping compound, and with time it will accelerate wear on your lugs, chamber and throat.

If you want to see what Brasso can do, leave it on for a while, when your brass turns a pinkish hue, that is the start of de zincification, zinc being a part of the alloy of brass.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I like #0000 steel wool and a Lee Zip Trim. Wonders and really fast.~Muir

quick zip in the cordless drill.
    not what I would call a polish, but gets the outer crap off down to the shell holder

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I like #0000 steel wool and a Lee Zip Trim. Wonders and really fast.~Muir
    Same here until the zip trim broke. I now use a rechargeable cordless drill and the #0000 steel wool....After the Lee length trimmer and the chamfering the wire wool gives a nice shine and takes off any sharp edges !!

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    If you want to see what Brasso can do, leave it on for a while, when your brass turns a pinkish hue, that is the start of de zincification, zinc being a part of the alloy of brass.
    That'll be the Phosphoric acid... and ... We don't like Phosphoric acid, nasty stuff, when dissolving the zinc out of our brass.

On the other hand, if you've some rusty steel to save then phosphoric acid, used as a "converter" treatment (after descaling) followed by rinsing/neutralisation and drying, is a very good start to make before etch priming, under coat priming and then several layers of top coating with decent paint (two pack epoxy being my personal preference)

My rifles have never been allowed to get that rusty.

I polish the outside of my cases with brasso for every reload, use them 10 times then bin them. never had any issues with brasso deteriorating the cases, as long as you polish it off well.

never cleaned the inside of a case yet.

No phosphoric acid in Brasso, active ingredient is Ammonia.