Thread: Trigger Help - Steyr Pro Hunter Mk2

Trigger Help - Steyr Pro Hunter Mk2

Evening chaps,

On my Prohunter Mk2 you can push the trigger forward to use as a hair trigger but for some reason it doesn't always seem to work, is this common, what causes it and can it be fixed easily or is it riflesmith job?
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Quote Originally Posted by dave1372 View Post
    Evening chaps,

On my Prohunter Mk2 you can push the trigger forward to use as a hair trigger but for some reason it doesn't always seem to work, is this common, what causes it and can it be fixed easily or is it riflesmith job?
    I have this rifle in 308 and is my main stalking rifle. The set trigger is adjustable and is around 4 pounds in its first stage and a ludicrous six ounce in the second. It should work every time. The second stage can be adjusted to around a pound and i suspect yours has been tweaked too far the wrong way.
    Check out the steyr website for a handbook download. If you cant get it then pm me and i will scan mine for you.

6.1 Forward Set trigger
    Ajustment of the forward set trigger
    To reduce trigger pressure turn the screw trigger in a clockwise direction using a 1.5 allan key.
    Warning Turning the screw too far will make cocking impossible.
    Turning the screw counterclockwise will increasetrigger preasure.
    The standard trigger is factory set and not adjustable.

the allan scew is the one on the forward sweep of the trigger curve. The instructions are word for word from the book. Jim

As per the previous replies, you have got the trigger at a weight that will not allow the set trigger to engage.
    Both of my Steyr`s have been set for a pull of 2lbs, and the set trigger is not used. Accurate, summed up the set trigger pull weight as `ludicrous`, and he is totally correct. IMVHO the set trigger is best left for use on the range only, and never in the field on game.....

David

I have a trigger pull gauge and you are welcome to come round and check your trigger pull weights. Out Tuesday evening.

Regards JCS

Thanks for all the replys folks.

See you on Wednesday JCS
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    As per the previous replies, you have got the trigger at a weight that will not allow the set trigger to engage.
    Both of my Steyr`s have been set for a pull of 2lbs, and the set trigger is not used. Accurate, summed up the set trigger pull weight as `ludicrous`, and he is totally correct. IMVHO the set trigger is best left for use on the range only, and never in the field on game.....
    Good advice Neil. I love my Steyr especially the trigger. I like my rifles to have a very light crisp trigger however I find the set trigger on my Prohunter far too light for anything other than the range. Its like a remote....as soon as you think about firing its gone . The normal trigger is more than light enough,ive never put a guage on it but it ideal for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    +1 only use my set trigger on both mine for paper punching my excited pulse when stalking live quarry would be enough to ........BANG !

Regular Poster
    I have some info on sorting Steyr trigger problems and adjusting same incl Factory adjustments.
    Email for all info on one sheet mry716@hotmail.com

Shoukld adjust back mate, soudns like its set too light.