Thread: Bedding a Sako 85

Bedding a Sako 85

I stripped my Sako on saturday with all the intention of bedding it. What i didn't take into consideration is that the recoil lug is separate from the action!! I only have experience with bedding a remy action where the recoil lug is part of the action. So i have 3 questions

1 - has anyone bedded their sako?
    2 - how did you do it? any online instruction videos etc?
    3 - if so did you find it beneficial?

Cheers
    Jonny

You need to either bed the original recoil lug into the stock or make a replacement recoil lug. To be honest if it's a wooden stock rifle and it shoots ok currently, I wouldn't waste your time on it.

By the same token as Danpd comment above, if its an "All Weather" Plasticfantastic factory stock, then your efforts will bring no benefit IMHO. The factory stocks are much too flexible to gain any enhancement from bedding.

Thats advice I was given years ago by a couple of knowlegable and respected Riflesmiths, and I believe them.

like said if its the plastic factory stock they dont bed well as the bedding will come loose eventualy but since your not paying to have it done it worth a try to get it to shoot better
    if its a wooden type stock then it will bed well ,bed the lug as part of the stock same as the tika t3s

Quote Originally Posted by Double0gorgeous View Post
    I stripped my Sako on saturday with all the intention of bedding it. What i didn't take into consideration is that the recoil lug is separate from the action!! I only have experience with bedding a remy action where the recoil lug is part of the action. So i have 3 questions

1 - has anyone bedded their sako?
    2 - how did you do it? any online instruction videos etc?
    3 - if so did you find it beneficial?

Cheers
    Jonny
    Ahhh sorry but I am wondering how closely you looked at you Remington? because if it's a Model 700 then the recoil lug is a piece of stamped out plate that is pinched between the round receiver and barrel.

Am also wondering what is the problem with your Sako? They are not known for having bedding issues that I am aware of.

Redmist off the forums does good bedding work I understand as does edi who if I recall correctly makes synthetic stocks.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Sorry birthunter didn't mean part of the action just attached vs. the sako with the reciol lug screwed in the stock and only connected when the action is screwed into place.

To be totally honest the rifle groups very well and i like the laminate factory fit stock, i just fanicied trying another bedding job after spending too much time on youtube.

I have come to the conculsion that i should leave well alone, thats unless anyone has more words of wisdom and has notable results.

are plastic stocks not better pillared than glass bedded?

Quote Originally Posted by Double0gorgeous View Post
    Thanks for the feedback folks.

Sorry birthunter didn't mean part of the action just attached vs. the sako with the reciol lug screwed in the stock and only connected when the action is screwed into place.

To be totally honest the rifle groups very well and i like the laminate factory fit stock, i just fanicied trying another bedding job after spending too much time on youtube.

I have come to the conculsion that i should leave well alone, thats unless anyone has more words of wisdom and has notable results.
    Ahhh no problem. I have not seen the new Sako recoil lugs just heard about them.

But my advice is old:-

It it ain't broke .................................................. ............ don't fix it.

Redmist off the forums does good bedding work

I can vouch for that. Lovely job on my Sako 85

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    Redmist off the forums does good bedding work

I can vouch for that. Lovely job on my Sako 85
    +1 on both my Tikkas .. 595 & 695. And.... very prompt.