Thread: Beagle Spaniel cross

Beagle Spaniel cross

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on using Beagle X Springer as a deer dog. Would they be easy to train, would they be any good? My sister has recently bought a Beagle X Springer pup and has said I can borrow him if I like for deer or for beating on the local pheasant shoot and I wanted to get some sage advice on what he would be best suited for.

Thanks

Adam

Hmm beagles tend to be headstrong, and spaniels brain dead,

good luck

Never seen this cross, but my instinct tells me that the hunting instinct of both breeds, coupled with the drive of the springer and the head strong nature of the beagle means it might be a handfull. Keeping it from running in and recal will be the stumbling block in the beating line. Never done any tracking so cant comment on this aspect. Having said that it might be a cracking dog if you can harness the enthusiasm.

Thanks for the responses folks, my sister is already getting obedience training under way with him so will have to work on staying put and immediate return when called/whistled - I know a few springer breeders who say it can be 3-4 years before they can work springers as it takes this long for them to settle down

"Headstrong" or "brain dead" are terms that can be applied to particular dogs in all breeds and I don't really think that this sweeping statement should be the rule for this particular dog. Many would consider that being "headstrong" or "stubborn" are positive characteristics in a deer dog. A deer dog that gives up when the going gets tough is not going to be the best. It is whether these traits can be developed to the handlers benefit. Spaniels can have one of the best noses in the gundog breeds. My advice would be try it and see. If it ain't any good the dog is not yours so you have the option of leaving it with your sister.

Anything with beagle in it is likely to be challenging to train, and they also tend to be very vocal dogs. Just about every pure beagle I know has a tendency to go deaf and disappear over the horizon at top speed when it's off the lead, but you never know with a cross, and it may be tempered somewhat by the spaniel. Or it might be made worse... you never know until you try, but I reckon you'll have your work cut out.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by adjman View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on using Beagle X Springer as a deer dog. Would they be easy to train, would they be any good? My sister has recently bought a Beagle X Springer pup and has said I can borrow him if I like for deer or for beating on the local pheasant shoot and I wanted to get some sage advice on what he would be best suited for.

Thanks

Adam
    No need for "academic" discussion on this one. The dog's there already... give him some time and effort and see what happens. Hand him back if it doesn't work out. Although, I'm not sure what you will want to do if he turns out to be ideal, good luck with that. Tuppence spent.

Thanks for all the advice folks - very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by adjman;276743I
    can borrow him if I like for deer or for beating on the local pheasant shoot
    I think you firstly need to decide where your priority lies - two very different disciplines mentioned there. But good advice from others on how to assess what you have, so maybe see how he develops - does he follow his nose or do a passable imitation of a Tazmanian Devil when searching the rough - and take it from there?