Thread: Fallow rut Questions

Fallow rut Questions

Had a strange weekend on the Fallow. So the rut is on? Doe's are gathered into groups but there's little if any grunting at all. Shot a pricket showed no sign of having been on the does, so pizal not peeled back, didn't smell, full stomachs etc . Also watched mature buck's walk by a load of does seamingly not showing any interest in the does at all. Never know anything like it very strange.

SO here are the quesions:

I'm sure the Fallow Rut is temperature dependant, other than temperature are there any other factors which drive the rut?
    Roe can have a silent rut, do/ can Fallow have a silent rut?
    Can the rut happen in November if the fallow don't show signs of a rut in Oct?

Is anybody else seeing anything simular?

Jason

Jason ,the rut in Sussex was in full swing on 21 October ( temp 12 ) . Come Monday 24 (temp 17) it had stopped, the bucks were still in the area but wandering around with afew does in toe . The thing i found puzzling this year why didn,t they start rutting when the temperature dropped in the evening ? The one thing i do know is that come June /July most of the does will have fawns afoot, so mating must happen anyway.

Chill

The rut has really kicked off here in the last few days, there had been activity for the last 3 weeks. I think that with this warm weather it will be drawn out as it has been the last few years, here anyway. As Chilli said there will been fawns come mid summer.

Matt

herd grunting saturday morning around smisby area

The ruts been going on for weeks around me i would say its not far off being finished !

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Had a strange weekend on the Fallow. So the rut is on? Doe's are gathered into groups but there's little if any grunting at all. Shot a pricket showed no sign of having been on the does, so pizal not peeled back, didn't smell, full stomachs etc . Also watched mature buck's walk by a load of does seamingly not showing any interest in the does at all. Never know anything like it very strange.

SO here are the quesions:

I'm sure the Fallow Rut is temperature dependant, other than temperature are there any other factors which drive the rut?
    Roe can have a silent rut, do/ can Fallow have a silent rut?
    Can the rut happen in November if the fallow don't show signs of a rut in Oct?

Is anybody else seeing anything simular?

Jason
    Hi Jason,

I am just back from my native NZ and spoke to a deer farmer about the rut. He told me the most significant factor is the day length, which affects when the does come into estrus.

Have a look at this link http://www.deer-library.com/artman/p...ticle_32.shtml for more details

Length of Day
    The length of the day is probably the single most overriding factor in deer breeding. It determines the ideal 200-day time frame for deer breeding and fawning. It remains constant from year to year and it becomes the deer's internal clock and calendar. The first day of summer (June 21st) has the most amount of daylight and the first day of winter (Dec. 22nd) has the least. As the length of the day changes throughout the year, the seasons also change and this triggers the deers' annual life cycle events such as shedding velvet, dropping antlers and breeding. In Western Canada this ideal time frame falls between the second and third week of November. When the deer are bred during this ideal time window, the fawns are born during the maximum survival window.
    Why does light play such an important part of deer breeding? Recent studies indicate the amount of light, or lack of it, directly affects the levels of melatonin in the does. The bucks are ready to breed as early as September, however they must wait for thedoes to come into estrus before breeding can commence. Melatonin is a sleep inducer and in deer it stimulates the estrus levels and dictates breeding time. The more light there is, the less melatonin is produced and this, in turn, causes the does to come into estrus.

One of my nephews was very excited to tell me he had been out watching the fallow in Petworth Park rutting last week while I was away on Exmoor seeing the tail end of the Red Rut down there

Very interesting... Didn't think about length of day.