Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a .308 for stalking and a bit of long range work, whats your thoughts.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

a .308 for stalking and a bit of long range work, whats your thoughts.

i have a savage m10 at the moment that i was planning to use for range days,

but since the renewal of my cert and i fancy having a .308 for stalking and a bit of long range work (varminting)

what would you go for,

it will have to be a used rifle as im out of work and will move the savage on first.

would also like the barrel to be 22" and mag fed.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

,you dont say what other calibres you own ,just curious as to the varminting part of the question ,i know the 308 is capable of long range target shooting but dont think it would be my first choice for varmints .....fox ,crow etc not having a pop at all just curious chap .i do myself own a 308 but it is only used for deer and the odd fox ,i use a 22.250 for most of my longer range vermin control
    regards
    norma

Slightly longer tube than your ideal, but I've had my Steyr-Mannicher Model L .308 'Varmint' for over 20 years and shot everything from vermin, (not the weapon of choice but it will do if needed), to 600m target via Soay sheep and the biggest Westcountry red stags without problem. Semi-heavy forged 'candy twist' barrel, rotary 5 round magazine, double set triggers and ventilated forend target style stock, maybe not for everyone but it does everything I want.

Attachment 10128

EDIT: Should have added that it will cloverleaf at 160m with handloads.
    Last edited by Orion; 31-10-2011 at 20:22.

Blog Entries
    thank you

well i run a 243 for deer and fox, a 20 tac for fox and vermin (bunnies crows etc out to 250 with ease. 17 hmr for land that is not cf safe, i have used a 308 steyr police special out to 1200 at bisley but i am not in a position to shoot target / prone shooting any more, so being a lover of the 308 and i wish to hold the slot than i just wanted to see what others thought of the question and see what comes back.

i suppose i could used the 308 just for deer and then run a 65 gr pill in the 243 for varminting,(now that's not a bad idea) i don't fancy hitting a munty on Thursday with a 308 though ??

bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    i don't fancy hitting a munty on Thursday with a 308 though ??
    Why not Bob? If the sharp bit isn't driven too fast, (I run 150 Nosler BT at circa 2700), then it will put anything down with acceptable carcase damage when put in the right place.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Why not Bob? If the sharp bit isn't driven too fast, (I run 150 Nosler BT at circa 2700), then it will put anything down with acceptable carcase damage when put in the right place.
    hi big man

that was going to be my next question

being a bit of a varminter as well as a very keen foxer, i was about to ask those that shoot the 308 at deer what they use load wise.

im running 110 v max just now for fox and vermin and thats about 3010 fps, but i can't use this on deer.

I am hoping to get to salisbury tomorrow for a bit of stalking 1st of november and my favorate time has arrived doe's are my favorate.

so 308 loads for munty roe and fallow.

bob.

my caliber choice for longrange varminting would be 25-06 and 85gr nosler ballistic tip,i found magic load that groups about half inch at 200yds butt supported,its fast and flat shooting,ive taken many a woody and crows past 400yds,longest to date is 496 yard crow,atb swarovski

Blog Entries
    cheers bud

just sold my custom built 6mm br and im just behind you on the longets shot (well thats a lie) my shooting buddy Craig in Salisbury took a bunnie at 490 yards running the zeiss 6.5/20x50 rapid z ret and a 75 gr nosler pill, stunning to watch, even if it was a mate using my rifle.

bob.

110gr v max do 3450 fps in my 30-06 according to chrony,low bc on them,ok out to 300,have grouped them aound 1 inch at 300,need a bolt tail bullet after that range,have tried them on roe,not good for chest shot,headshot well well well,,nufin left bar the ears,turns charlies inside out,22/250 ok in perfect conditions,a little breeze and shots get blown off

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    cheers bud

just sold my custom built 6mm br and im just behind you on the longets shot (well thats a lie) my shooting buddy Craig in Salisbury took a bunnie at 490 yards running the zeiss 6.5/20x50 rapid z ret and a 75 gr nosler pill, stunning to watch, even if it was a mate using my rifle.

bob.
    my mate had a crow with his 223 using a 55gr nos bal tip head at 503yds,ive had a crack out past that several times but missed so far just a little left or right,isnt many days without a breath of wind