Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dsc1

dsc1

just had a phone call to tell me im booked on my DSC1 on the 10th of november..........sweaty palms and a look of confusion are heading my way. now where did i put that book?

Read, read and read and you,ll breeze through. I did mine recently at Kielder and a little bit of prep does no harm. Practice the shooting test and as someone on here recommended - volunteer first, pass and sit back with a smug look on your face!!

haha i know i know, ill be kicking the bckside out of that book between now and then!!! only thing im slightly dubious about is the shooting test as i very rarely get to fire a rifle. ah well confidence will see me through i hope ;-)

ziggy nothing to worry about with the shooting test mate your recent trip prooved that
    just focus relax and pass regards pete .

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    haha i know i know, ill be kicking the bckside out of that book between now and then!!! only thing im slightly dubious about is the shooting test as i very rarely get to fire a rifle. ah well confidence will see me through i hope ;-)
    I found it helpful to practice dry firing the 3 positions for around 10 minutes a day, if you are able to just settle your sights on a distant small object ( I used a 1/2" white patch on a fence post at 100 yards) and see if you can fire without the gun moving at all

cheers pete, im looking forward to it rarely just a bit shocked at how quick its come around, its the start of everything falling into place now. thanks for the tip tim, every little helps

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    cheers pete, im looking forward to it rarely just a bit shocked at how quick its come around, its the start of everything falling into place now. thanks for the tip tim, every little helps
    One thing I forgot, I started the test with 3 into the practice zero to steady nerves and get a comfortable position , worked a treat . DSC 1 is straightforward enough provided you do all the revision stuff , anyway good luck on the day

Ziggy

Biggest hurdle in the shooting test is the mental side of it. Had six on the range for their part one at the weekend - and despite having me () as their RCO everyone was feeling a bit tense.

Its not a memory test - so you dont need to learn the course of fire - BUT, well worth reading through and dry practise - as has been suggested. In terms of getting comfortable with the rifle, worth considering actually dry firing the test as practise - 3 in zero target - from the position you're going to use, 2 on deer 100m, 2 on deer 70m from sitting/kneeling and 2 on 40m deer standing. Do it for 'real' albeit dry and use any aids you will use on the day. Routine then becomes familiar.

Whilst dry firing and in mind between sessions replay it - and crucially keep every word and action positive. Each time see the rounds forming a nice tight cluster where you want then.

Sounds a bit touchy feely I know, but it works well and helps the nerves a lot. In fact if you programme your mind this way then stress on the day will actually help you perform better.

Also dont rush yourself - or be rushed. There's nothing on the assessment sheet that mentions a time scale. Particularly with sticks etc at 70 and 40 a lot of people feel its taking an age to get set up and rush the shot before they are really settled.

Hope that helps.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Ziggy

Biggest hurdle in the shooting test is the mental side of it. Had six on the range for their part one at the weekend - and despite having me () as their RCO everyone was feeling a bit tense.

Its not a memory test - so you dont need to learn the course of fire - BUT, well worth reading through and dry practise - as has been suggested. In terms of getting comfortable with the rifle, worth considering actually dry firing the test as practise - 3 in zero target - from the position you're going to use, 2 on deer 100m, 2 on deer 70m from sitting/kneeling and 2 on 40m deer standing. Do it for 'real' albeit dry and use any aids you will use on the day. Routine then becomes familiar.

Whilst dry firing and in mind between sessions replay it - and crucially keep every word and action positive. Each time see the rounds forming a nice tight cluster where you want then.

Sounds a bit touchy feely I know, but it works well and helps the nerves a lot. In fact if you programme your mind this way then stress on the day will actually help you perform better.

Also dont rush yourself - or be rushed. There's nothing on the assessment sheet that mentions a time scale. Particularly with sticks etc at 70 and 40 a lot of people feel its taking an age to get set up and rush the shot before they are really settled.

Hope that helps.

Ziggy,

I can 2nd the advice above. I was one of the guys on this course and can safely say that i was bricking it! But with the help and advice from all the guys at the Stalking school It was no problem. I did the 2 day course with them and would definately recommend them to anyone out there looking for a place to get thru their level 1. If you read the manual and can answers the questions then you'll sail the course, although i have to admitt it does seem like a bit of a challange at the time as the day goes on and your nerves settle you find it all falls into place.

Cheers to all the guys at the stalking school for a fantastic course...highly recommend them!!!!!

Good luck with yours Ziggy

Dave

thanks for all the advice, im sure youll see my grin from as far away as scotland when i pass haha