Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: whats the consensus of opinion on this

whats the consensus of opinion on this

News home > UK
    Print 31 under-10s issued shotgun licence

31 October 2011 07:51pm More than 30 children aged under 10 in England and Wales were issued with shotgun licences in the last three years, official figures revealed.
    The statistics show 11 certificates were issued to under-10s last year, five in 2009 and 15 in 2008.
    The figures were obtained by Labour MP Thomas Docherty, who has campaigned for a change in the law to set a minimum age for holding a shotgun licence.
    Children are not allowed to use a gun unsupervised until they are 15, but the Dunfermline and West Fife MP said the rules were "really weak".
    Mr Docherty said: "Society as a whole is deeply uncomfortable with the idea of a seven-year-old having access to a lethal weapon.
    "I have not heard a single coherent argument for why a seven-year-old, who has no legal culpability, should be allowed to have unfettered access to fire a firearm."
    Mr Docherty, who earlier this year launched a parliamentary bid to ban under-14s from holding a licence, said senior police agreed with the need for a minimum age.
    The Association of Chief Police Officers had argued that 10 would be a suitable minimum age.
    Mr Docherty said: "Do we have to wait until we get a tragic accident involving a seven or eight-year-old before we take action?"
    The MP said he understood why people needed guns for land management and sporting purposes and stressed: "I'm not trying to ban it."
    The Press Association

Children need to be able to be granted SGC's in their name for as long as the law remains an ass. If the law simply stated that any person could use a shotgun under the direct personal supervision of a SGC holder over 18 years of age then there would be no need. As it stands the only way a youngster can learn to shoot is at a clay ground with a suitable exemption (is it section 11, I forget?) or if they hold an SGC.

Children shouldn't need a cert but as things are they do. Why shouldn't I be able to take a friend out and let them use my gun under my supervision?

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    News home > UK

31 October 2011 07:51pm More than 30 children aged under 10 in England and Wales were issued with shotgun licences in the last three years, official figures revealed.
    The statistics show 11 certificates were issued to under-10s last year, five in 2009 and 15 in 2008.
    The figures were obtained by Labour MP Thomas Docherty, who has campaigned for a change in the law to set a minimum age for holding a shotgun licence.
    Children are not allowed to use a gun unsupervised until they are 15, but the Dunfermline and West Fife MP said the rules were "really weak".
    Mr Docherty said: "Society as a whole is deeply uncomfortable with the idea of a seven-year-old having access to a lethal weapon.who asked society i never heard any thing
    "I have not heard a single coherent argument for why a seven-year-old, who has no legal culpability, should be allowed to have unfettered access to fire a firearm."they cannot have unfettered access to a firearm or ammunition has he read his own statement .they require supervision
    Mr Docherty, who earlier this year launched a parliamentary bid to ban under-14s from holding a licence, said senior police agreed with the need for a minimum age.
    The Association of Chief Police Officers had argued that 10 would be a suitable minimum age.
    Mr Docherty said: "Do we have to wait until we get a tragic accident involving a seven or eight-year-old before we take action?"it hasn't happened so far i wonder why oh that right there supervised by a responsible adult
    The MP said he understood why people needed guns for land management and sporting purposes and stressed: "I'm not trying to ban it.""yet""
    The Press Association

This is Labour at there best instead of trying to put the country back on its feet, no that would be to hard, lets hit something easily dealt with, GUN's ,they'll have everyone that doesn't like anything jumping on the band waggon, again .

These MPs are over paid and way under worked no doubt a ex shop steward out of some where that went down the tubes .

Sounds like a politician trying to make gain out of nothing (as usual). Funny how he agrees that 10 should be the minimum age, why 10 yet not 9 or 8 or 7 or 11 for that matter. Where does he get this 'society as a whole is deeply uncomfortable'.......total b0ll0ck5. Talk to child psychologists and you'll find most would agree that 10 is too young for the vast majority of children to be deemed culpable (the two scrotes that killed Jamie Bulger being perfect exceptions to the rule) 13-14 being a more reasonable age.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Not to put too fine a point on it, he sounds like a bit of a knob.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    News home > UK

Mr Docherty said: "Society as a whole is deeply uncomfortable with the idea of a seven-year-old having access to a lethal weapon.
    "I have not heard a single coherent argument for why a seven-year-old, who has no legal culpability, should be allowed to have unfettered access to fire a firearm."
    Mr Docherty said: "Do we have to wait until we get a tragic accident involving a seven or eight-year-old before we take action?"
    The MP said he understood why people needed guns for land management and sporting purposes and stressed: "I'm not trying to ban it."
    The Press Association
    This MP appears to be ignorant of what the law actually permits. i.e. supervised access to shooting by the child certificate holder with a weapon and ammunition that he is not allowed to obtain for himself, this is most definately not "unfettered access to fire a firearm" as claimed

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, he sounds like a bit of a knob.
    Seconded.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

and thirded

Can I add how many of these young people who are keen enough to get a certificate ever get into trouble with the police.
    Every young person who I know that comes shooting is
    well behaved
    respectful
    normally takes delight in dressing tidily
    Etc etc

But I am just an who belives in good maners

I am of the opinion that 10 is too young although I do think children who live in a household where guns are kept should be aware of the dangers and respectful of gun handling safety. The only way to do this is by involving them and allowing supervised access, my 8yr old helps me re-load and has been out pigeon shooting with me. I even showed him how to dispatch a winged bird.
    I was brought up on a farm, shotguns were no big deal to me as they were a part of daily life, I was never allowed to use them until I was about 15 but they were there. I learned to drive a car as soon as my feet could reach the pedals and drove my first tractor aged 9
    We had a log fire and regularly burned rubbish on a bonfire.... as a result I have never found starting fires to be fascinating, more of a chore. Nor have I ever felt the urge to steal a car and go joyriding. Sorry to go off on a tangent but my example highlights the importance of youngsters being given the chance to partake in what some consider to be dangerous activities. It teaches them respect and discipline.

My wife is a primary school teacher and she thinks 10 is too young too
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I have shot since I was 8. I did not kill anyone and I have the upmost respect for Shotguns/Firearms.

The sooner people learn the better imo.