Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 Factory ammo performance

6.5x55 Factory ammo performance

Hi all. I have recently started using a 6.5 and am currenly only using factory ammo as i dont reload at the moment. I will mainly be using it for Roe to begin with and am using remmington 140grn core-lokt at the moment and woundered if people can recomened any alternative brand. Obviously accuracy may varie from gun to gun but an idea of terminal performance would be useful. Alos would trying to find some 120grn ammo be more usful than the standard 140grn stuff? Cheers

I've used Norma factory ammo - 140gr SP Nosler (Ref 16559). No complaints at all, and I've run through well over 1000 rounds of it. Excellent accuracy, great terminal performance.
    Also worth giving PRVI ammo a try, much cheaper (about 60/100 from Henry Krank) and it shoots very well in my rifle, and again no problems at all with terminal performance over several hundred rounds on everything from roe to large red stags. If it works in your rifle, you're laughing.
    I picked up a batch of Federal 140gr SP at one point, and it was fine but chrono'd slightly slower than the PRVI and Norma 140gr, and dropped a touch faster.

I'd suggest you pick up a box of PRVI and give it a shot. I use the 139gr SP, and at 60p a round it's hard to beat.

Thanks, im trying to order in some Privi but it might take a few weeks. Norma doesn't get too many bad reviews but it is very expensive unfortunatly...

How far are you from Leeds? I was down there a couple of weeks ago and picked up some from Henry Krank, they had plenty of 6.5x55 in stock then.

I have tried several brands of factory Sweedish at 139 & 140 grn and to be frank at 100 M from my Mauser i find very little difference in grouping between them. As for terminal performance its just one of those rounds that always does a good job on anything in these isles.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    i find very little difference in grouping between them
    Same here, the cheap PRVI stuff shoots to the same point of impact as the more expensive Norma stuff, groups the same at just under 1" at 100yds, and no difference in performance. If you didn't look at the headstamp you wouldn't be able to tell which you were shooting.

the privvi gets my vote in both 139 and 156.
    very accurate and also cheap.
    had 100's of roe and munjac shot with these and no damage issues....ever.

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    the privvi gets my vote in both 139 and 156.
    very accurate and also cheap.
    had 100's of roe and munjac shot with these and no damage issues....ever.
    John and I have both got Sako 75 Finnlights in 6.5x55, Privi shoot like **** through my rifle, I'm lucky to get a 1.5" group at 100yds.

I always rated Federal Powershok 140gn. i only started reloading when I could no longer source them regularly.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Cheers all. I will try and get some Pirvi. How much are you paying for federal ammo?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by webley22 View Post
    How much are you paying for federal ammo?
    Last batch I bought was dirt cheap at around 15/box of 20, but that was in a closing-down sale...