Thread: budget binos

budget binos

On the lookout for a spare set to replace my trusty jena jenoptems in the event that they go wayward again. Something of comparable optical quality.

Not looking to spend a fortune - binos are the only thing I won't spend big bucks on as I have a rather poor track record with taking care of them

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    have a look at the bushnell range i picked up some for just 60 new 8x42 and they are fine, been using them last week to take a couple of bucks at dusk and will be using them on a couple of fallow does this friday

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
    Wow those are some cheap binos, I thought my Leup Yosemites were good value. Are they any good?

yes i have the 8x32 then got the 8x42 read the specs mate they good high quality, the guy i do accompained stalks through wont touch anything apart from swaroski and ge was really impressed with the quality for the price, and bought a pair as a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoony View Post
    yes i have the 8x32 then got the 8x42 read the specs mate they good high quality, the guy i do accompained stalks through wont touch anything apart from swaroski and ge was really impressed with the quality for the price, and bought a pair as a back up.
    Good to know, like the OP I am terrible at caring for binos so I'll try to remember that.

Yes, looked at those - they are available cheaper mind you - they are rebadged chinese jobs the exact same as these: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Supposed to be pretty good for the money, but I'd buy the VKs not the strathspey. I know the strathspey website shows them looking slightly different, but the pics are out of date. They were 100% the same - prisms, lenses, body all but the logo - check and compare the review pics of the starthspey here: Strathspey 8x32 Binoculars; A review.
    Last edited by jcf1; 06-11-2011 at 23:20.

Got some bresser safari (same as barr and stroud safari) 8x42 in the end. Had a look at the strathspey - a local chap has a pair, were pretty good but I reckon the jena jenoptem were clearer at the time of day I tried - about 5ish.
    There is very little between the bressers and the jenas, and I think I could safely say the bresser are actually a bit clearer in terms of detail I could see on the pebble dash on the flats behind my house.
    I got mine for 49.95 here: Binocular Repairs 42 Waterproof Binocular
    Normally a lot more.
    Build quality is superb. I'll do a fuller review in due course.

jcf1 a bresser safari
    got a pair of these 2 years ago paid about 70 quid never regretted it.they have been knocked from pillar to post wet dry muddy
    very clear vision cant go wrong for that money great value and not worried about using them
    regards bally

Yes, must admit - I am impressed with the build they are really solid feeling, more so than any binocular I've picked up. I can't picture them breaking - the rubber armour is full-on! I was just going to get another pair of jenas - but the prices of these has just got to the ridiculous stage. They used to be good for the money - but now they seem to go for nearer the 100 mark, and honestly there are better modern options around.

I just won't spend a lot on binos - scopes, rifles, clothes yes - I take care of those; but I will break/lose my binos at some point.