Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BASC Opinion wanted

BASC Opinion wanted

Can someone from BASC tell me and others that may be interested if they represent Estates that have wiped out their deer populations in the name of Grouse recovery - If they do why?.
    Or if having heard of it happening have they done anything to oppose it or if they have just remained silent. Bearing in mind there mission. "Our mission is to promote and protect sporting shooting and the well-being of the countryside throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. We represent our members' interests by providing a voice for sporting shooting which includes wildfowling, game, and rough shooting, deer stalking, target shooting and air gunning, pigeon shooting and pest control, gun dogs, promoting practical habitat conservation, training and the setting of standards and undertaking appropriate research".

I'm not sure it's fair to expect BASC, or indeed any shooting organisation, to be able to meddle in estates' prioritisation of grouse shooting over deer stalking however misguided it may appear to us.

And assuming they could, how would they justify prioritising deer over grouse when the reverse question is asked on "The Grouse Shooting Directory"?

Surely all we can reasonably expect shooting organisations to do is provide impartial advice to estates to maintain a healthy balance of both?

Alex

Fair....?
    Read their statements....!

I am not asking about them prioritising and their web sites say they are looking for a ballance So no, I think its perfectly reasonable to ask them why if they knew about it happening did they not stand by their own policies.
    If they arnt going to do anything then change there mission statements et al.

Do you think if the general public knew what has happened there wouldn't be a huge outcry?

I stak deer, I shoot Grouse so I dont want one thing to be prioritised. Deer are a part of our countryside as are grouse etc. Its should never be about extermination for the sake of one animal.

I dont know of any Estates that BASC represent in this context.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo Salar View Post
    Fair....?
    Read their statements....!

I am not asking about them prioritising and their web sites say they are looking for a ballance So no, I think its perfectly reasonable to ask them why if they knew about it happening did they not stand by their own policies.
    If they arnt going to do anything then change there mission statements et al.

Do you think if the general public knew what has happened there wouldn't be a huge outcry?

I stak deer, I shoot Grouse so I dont want one thing to be prioritised. Deer are a part of our countryside as are grouse etc. Its should never be about extermination for the sake of one animal.
    I can't see anything in that statement that suggests it should be part of their mandate to lobby private estates and as a member of BASC myself I wouldn't expect them to. What would you expect them to do? Revoke the syndicate membership of a grouse shooting estate that they consider to be prioritising grouse over deer?

I agree that wiping out the deer to favour the grouse is the wrong thing to do, ecologically, but I'm not convinced it's the shooting organisations that should be policing that... surely it should be SNH that should be promoting a healthy ecological balance if anyone.... but then they are the same lot who favour wiping out the deer AND the grouse to return Caledonian Forest for hitherto unknown reasons so I do understand there is an issue there too

Anyway I'll butt out and let BASC speak for themselves.

Thank you for the response David.

Ok
    Did or do BASC know of estates that have done this, if so have they done anything about it?

As I said, I dont know of any estates that have done this , nor what we could do top stop the owner of shooting rights doing what they want within the law?

David

I too am a member but this will be my last year. You are right in that the SNH should be stopping these things happening but when they dont my subs I thought were paying towards a shooting organisation that would look after my and the countrysides interests by lobbying SNH/government to oppose the extermination of deer by what ever organisation or estate. That is what I assumed obviously wrongly!
    From BASC web site-

Our mission is to promote and protect sporting shooting and the well-being of the countryside throughout the United Kingdom and overseas. We represent our members' interests by providing a voice for sporting shooting which includes wildfowling, game, and rough shooting, deer stalking, target shooting and air gunning, pigeon shooting and pest control, gun dogs, promoting practical habitat conservation, training and the setting of standards and undertaking appropriate research.

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    As I said, I dont know of any estates that have done this , nor what we could do top stop the owner of shooting rights doing what they want within the law?

David
    As I said, no more subs from me if thats the attitude of the organisation that purports to protect my and many others pastimes and the general countryside.
    I have to assume you are being honest regarding the estates that have exterminated their deer populations although I do find that hard to believe if I have heard of it here.
    Surely you can lobby the govenment to stop these things happening?

Stop what exactly, and under what area of law?

Are you saying we should lobby to make it illegal to stalk deer on or near moorland?

In what way have we failed to protect people right to stalk deer, or shoot grouse, or pheasants or pigeons, or fox etc?

David