Thread: Running Boar Practise Range

Account Suspended

Running Boar Practise Range

Is there a range anywhere in Southern Scotland, between say Lockerbie and Perth and all points East and West of that line, where it's possible to practise on running Boar... or Elk and the likes?

If not, where is the closest such range?

Cos, I'm not sure that rolling tyres with plywood centres down the hill is really a good enough or even suitable substitute.

You could try any gap in Hadrians Wall.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Hadrians wall is no good we have blocked up all the gaps to keep the neighour's out.
    I think the nearest running boar range is the Bog range which is in shropshire http://www.minsterleyranges.com/about.htm.

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Apologies in advance if this isn't what you're after, but in the absence of an actual range, maybe you could find someone who has a Marksman ST-2 simulator.

They're not cheap and I don't suppose there are that many in the country, but having tried one myself and having spent time on several occasions watching others use them, I've been very impressed at how quickly they improve one's shooting.

The key difference from shooting on a running boar range, aside from the greater variety of scenarios possible with the simulator, is that every shot can be analysed and subsequent correction made to one's mount or estimation of lead -think of it as being a bit like shooting at a paper target: you can see your fall of shot and adjust accordingly, only with the simulator you can do the same thing with running or flying game.

I've seen novices go from missing behind or shooting the pig in the haunches to nailing it with a heart shot every time in just 15 minutes. Obviously, it's not the same as the real thing, but I'd say it wasn't bad preparation at all.

Just a thought.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Apologies in advance if this isn't what you're after, but in the absence of an actual range, maybe you could find someone who has a Marksman ST-2 simulator.

They're not cheap and I don't suppose there are that many in the country, but having tried one myself and having spent time on several occasions watching others use them, I've been very impressed at how quickly they improve one's shooting.

The key difference from shooting on a running boar range, aside from the greater variety of scenarios possible with the simulator, is that every shot can be analysed and subsequent correction made to one's mount or estimation of lead -think of it as being a bit like shooting at a paper target: you can see your fall of shot and adjust accordingly, only with the simulator you can do the same thing with running or flying game.

I've seen novices go from missing behind or shooting the pig in the haunches to nailing it with a heart shot every time in just 15 minutes. Obviously, it's not the same as the real thing, but I'd say it wasn't bad preparation at all.

Just a thought.
    I've been told about these before by Swedish and Danish friends. They look very impressive. I wonder how much capital it would take to set one up in a suitable building.

Would enough people be willing to use one in Scotland to justify the setup and running costs?... Hmmm....