Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a small herd of deer

Keeping a small herd of deer

This is no more than idle thinking really, but I was just wondering about the costs involved with and the practicality of having your own deer park I'm thinking a small herd of fallow as a hobby. Questions are:

Acreage required to maintain a herd of say 30 deer
    Type of pasture required
    Approximate feed costs
    Height of fencing required
    Fencing cost per metre
    Legistlation

And anything else anyone can think of that may be useful

Thanks

Rich
    Last edited by Rols; 02-11-2011 at 19:31.

Maybe give Earl Grosvenor's estates office a call,?........ there are a some nice Fallow on his front garden,...........?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Rols,
    Count me in,we could go halves and shoot the b@@@@s.
    As there seems to be no deer around our neck of the woods,unless you count Much wenlock,which is a closed shop,unless you pay 80 a stalk and see nowt,Tony.

Hi Tony

Whereabouts are you in Shropshire? Getting quite a few deer around here now mate plenty of munty about and saw two fallow does the other night near kinver. Unfortunately found one of them dead in the verge the following morning

Rich

Yep that will be the two fallow released in shropshire,circa 1953,oh I live in bridgnorth.Tone.

Rols

Most info should be on the site below. Dont know if it is same in England but there is no Single Farm Payment subsidy for deer farms unlike sheep/cattle or pigs. You also have to include vet bills for ensuring the health of the herd especially if they are eventually to go into food chain.

http://www.bdfpa.org/deerfarminginfo.php

Apart from the upfront issues, you also have to consider no more holidays unless you have someone you can rely on to look after the herd when you are away. Also consider the likelihood of activists or poachers/stalkers releasing the herd for their own sport in the area which I know has happend to a few.

Best thing is to visit a deer farm near you and quiz the owner as it is always different once on the ground.
    Last edited by firsttimer; 02-11-2011 at 20:47.

Hi Rich,

Contact Mike from Jelen Deer- Committed to excellence he has a wealth of knowledge on farmed and park deer and should be able to give you some good info. He is also on here as Pneudart.

ATB

Rob
    243Sako

Wink

Go for it mate, you know I'll look after them when you go on holiday (just don't get more than 4 as running short on ammo)!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by CRUMPY; 03-11-2011 at 04:40.

In terms of acreage, it depends on the productivity of your ground, there are tests you can perform by analysing the the biomass of feed available in randomly selected metre square plots. Once you know your biomass figures, then you can work out your stocking density. Fallow deer are basically equal to one sheep in grazing terms, reds equal two. On average you will be looking at 3-4 Fallow per acre.

Your biggest cost is fencing. You need 2m high high tensile small aperture deer fence, with well designed gates and a handling system, like a run or crush. Fencing will be between 12-18 a metre. You will also need planning permission if your 2m high fence is within 20m of a public highway (footpath,bridle way, road etc)

You don't want a deer farm, you want a deer park. Deer farms involve a lot of paperwork, tagging of fawns, correct slaughtering, movement orders......etc etc. Deer parks have little legislation other than for the welfare of the animals.

From Nov/Dec through to March you will need to provide supplementary feed to the tune of 3-4kg of turnips and hay per deer per day, this is the biggest hands on job involved with them, and incurs cost.

There are other bits and pieces too, but I'm running out of typing steam! All in all to set up a smallish park I wouldn't expect much change from 25k.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
    Rols

Most info should be on the site below. Dont know if it is same in England but there is no Single Farm Payment subsidy for deer farms unlike sheep/cattle or pigs. You also have to include vet bills for ensuring the health of the herd especially if they are eventually to go into food chain.

http://www.bdfpa.org/deerfarminginfo.php

Apart from the upfront issues, you also have to consider no more holidays unless you have someone you can rely on to look after the herd when you are away. Also consider the likelihood of activists or poachers/stalkers releasing the herd for their own sport in the area which I know has happend to a few.

Best thing is to visit a deer farm near you and quiz the owner as it is always different once on the ground.
    Some very informative information there, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CRUMPY View Post
    Go for it mate, you know I'll look after them when you go on holiday (just don't get more than 4 as running short on ammo)!!!!!!!!!
    I wondered how long it'd be before you came along If I do it you can look after them when I'm on holiday on one condition.............I can leave the missus at home aswell.... What you reckon mate "CRUMPROLLINSON DEER PARK"?

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    In terms of acreage, it depends on the productivity of your ground, there are tests you can perform by analysing the the biomass of feed available in randomly selected metre square plots. Once you know your biomass figures, then you can work out your stocking density. Fallow deer are basically equal to one sheep in grazing terms, reds equal two. On average you will be looking at 3-4 Fallow per acre.

Your biggest cost is fencing. You need 2m high high tensile small aperture deer fence, with well designed gates and a handling system, like a run or crush. Fencing will be between 12-18 a metre. You will also need planning permission if your 2m high fence is within 20m of a public highway (footpath,bridle way, road etc)

You don't want a deer farm, you want a deer park. Deer farms involve a lot of paperwork, tagging of fawns, correct slaughtering, movement orders......etc etc. Deer parks have little legislation other than for the welfare of the animals.

From Nov/Dec through to March you will need to provide supplementary feed to the tune of 3-4kg of turnips and hay per deer per day, this is the biggest hands on job involved with them, and incurs cost.

There are other bits and pieces too, but I'm running out of typing steam! All in all to set up a smallish park I wouldn't expect much change from 25k.

Enjoy!
    Thanks for that, very useful advice