Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pluck! or Breast!

Pluck! or Breast!

Just in from plucking 5 brace of partridge, the question is do most people now breast birds, rather than plucking them, as i seem to speak to more and more people that do just as said, take the breast out only.

Mauser.

I often take the breasts and legs off pheasants. Partridges I always dress properly for roasting.

Never had to do 10 at once, though!

I cut the breast and legs off, much easier, much quicker same taste

before i pluck my pheasants i always boil the kettle and pou
    r the hot water over them makes the feathers come out so much easier

Partridge, woodcock pluck, pheasants & wildfowl breast them out

Plus one with Bodach.

Woodcock come before anything else in my book.
    It never ceases to amaze me how few people have tried it. All the more for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser243 View Post
    Just in from plucking 5 brace of partridge, the question is do most people now breast birds, rather than plucking them, as i seem to speak to more and more people that do just as said, take the breast out only.

Mauser.
    Breast Partridge & Pheasant, Pluck Woodcock & Snipe

i always breast pheasants . Never tried plucking a woodcock though , I just give them to my neighbor , he makes trout flies with them i think.

pheasants i tend to skin rather than pluck i dont like to waste anything i then wrap with bacon to stop them drying out even the wife likes them everything else gets plucked a quick fry to brown them off and into the oven ,atb wayne
    Last edited by mereside; 03-11-2011 at 19:45.

This depends on the cooking that the meat is intended for!!!! I love to pot roast my pheasant in the slow cooker, just chuck in some carrot, onion and neep, pop in a bit chicken stock and pop on until done (normally 4 hours) then thicken the juices for a good gravy. I will also breast them out especially if Im hosting friends or if they are intended for mid-week. Partridge will always be plucked and cooked with with loads of garlic and white wine, the same as the old french recipie Chicken with 40 cloves ( I cook alot of my birds this way). Duck again either plucked for a roast bird especially Widgeon, served with a Bigarade sauce, Mallard breasts are used for pan frying. Woodcock I have only ever breasted fried in butter ate scoffed on buttered toast!!!

nutty