Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apples for roe?

apples for roe?

anybody tried planting cheap little apple trees here and there, you know the one's that carry fruit well into the autumn/early winter to keep the deer with better food supply?

I tried picking a load of crab apples and spreading them around but the roe didn't seem to bother too much with them.

I've got apple and damson trees in my garden never seen them eating the apples but they love the damsons that have fallen they beat me to it this years as i normaly make slow gin.

That would be Damson Gin :-)

Or do you mean you make it slowly?

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

not all apple's they like, just some species.
    But beware there not eat to much, the can get drunk and die. (mosley only wehn there are fenst in)
    I'll plant speciaal apple trees for my roedeer but they like the applewood even more, all my trees where eaten in a couple of days.
    Last edited by Blaser R93; 04-11-2011 at 18:56.

I dont know about roe eating apples but iv shot fallow in orchards around Hereford they also like the taste of grapes,cant really blame them can you?

There are a couple of large crab apple trees on a farm i stalk,they have had massive crops the last couple of years,the local roe are never far away and others travel a good distance to feed on the fruit...

The Roe round here have a liking for apples - but most of the big commercial orchards have been grubbed up ,crab apples in the hedgerows are popular feeding stations this time of year - i have seen Muntjac tucking in as well .

Quote Originally Posted by wivenhoe65 View Post
    The Roe round here have a liking for apples - but most of the big commercial orchards have been grubbed up ,crab apples in the hedgerows are popular feeding stations this time of year - i have seen Muntjac tucking in as well .
    munty yesterday had apples in its stomach ....crab i think

When the snow is here in Dorset I get the Roe coming into my garden in the early hours to eat the eating and cooking apples that drop from my trees and if the snow has been down for a week or so they will eating really rotten brown apples.