14 sleeps till of hunting

reiver

Ammo loaded, rifle cleaned and zeroed and my shooting kit sorted and packed just 14 days to go and counting till i am back in Croatia looking for piggys.
Any one would think i am excited!!.
:smug:
Bob

Bob, I have not managed to get another trip, so far but am still trying, Frank is full up.
So it looks as if my first trip won't be until December so make sure you leave some for me !!!!!!!
Or if you don't want to leave some, just leave a couple of really big boys :D

Good news, I have managed to get a trip to Poland with Woodmill Shootings.
I have to make my way to Berlin and will be collected from there and transported to Poland by bus.
I am joining a Norwegion group so it should be fun.
As I will be the only Brit I hope I can shoot for England - oops sorry, Great Britain !!
I'll keep you all posted and it may tempt some of you next year.

I have to make my way to Berlin and will be collected from there and transported to Poland by bus.
As I will be the only Brit I hope I can shoot for England - oops sorry, Great Britain !!

Sounds awesome! I quite like being the only Brit amongst a group of foreigners sometimes, you become much more willing to explore different cultures than when you're with a group of mates. Hope that you both have good trips!:british:

Phew ! this trip might be a godsend but it is working out rather more expensive than my usual jaunts.
The Flight ticket to Berlin that was advertised at £181.00 worked out after taxes, booking fees and Visa charge at just over £200.
I have just confirmed with the Airline, BMI, that they are aware that I am carrying a Sporting firearm.
Initially they said nor firearms are allowed on their flights :eek: but after a long protracted conversation and several 'holding on' gaps, the Indian accented gentleman came back with, " I am very sorry about that Sir but yes they are allowed on and was I aware there was a £50 handling charge each way"
So another £100 added to the trip, I only hope this works out as pleasant as the cost indicates :eek:
My Plastic will be melted by the time I come back :lol:

Phew ! this trip might be a godsend but it is working out rather more expensive than my usual jaunts.
The Flight ticket to Berlin that was advertised at £181.00 worked out after taxes, booking fees and Visa charge at just over £200.
I have just confirmed with the Airline, BMI, that they are aware that I am carrying a Sporting firearm.
Initially they said nor firearms are allowed on their flights :eek: but after a long protracted conversation and several 'holding on' gaps, the Indian accented gentleman came back with, " I am very sorry about that Sir but yes they are allowed on and was I aware there was a £50 handling charge each way"
So another £100 added to the trip, I only hope this works out as pleasant as the cost indicates :eek:
My Plastic will be melted by the time I come back :lol:

You only live once Eddy! Too many people don't remember this until it's too late!

You only live once Eddy! Too many people don't remember this until it's too late!
Too right,
I always used to keep an amount of money set aside for emergency's.
With a young family growing up there was always emergency's so it never stayed banked for long.
Now the children have grown up and flown the nest, I never seem to get the chance to put anything by for emergency's any more.
What I have found out is that an awful lot of people my age live like paupers and die rich, so my attitude now is enjoy it while I can before it is too late.
Bob, I won't see you at Heathrow after all because my flight take off is at 09.15 hrs.

Last edited:

I have been stalking with Stephen and Colin from Woodmill on a number of occasions.

Stephen is a top bloke. Sometimes he also goes on the driven hunts.

I am sure you will be well looked after, unlike some of the other dealings you have had recently!!!

Good luck.

Cheers

Ross

When are you going E... some friends and i are going with woodmills on 1st of dec, went with Steven last year and had a great time....

Im sure the Norges your going with where in our group last year.... return bookings speak for themselves i think...

Hi Nell,
I am going on the 17th November coming back on the 21st.
I have sussed him out before but never taken him up on his offer because I didn't fancy the three to four hour journey from Berlin to Poland by coach.
Did you get clobbered for £50 each way for your rifle last year ?
My outlook on return bookings are somewhat different to yours, If I don't do well this time I expect to do well next time or the time after that !! It's the law of averages.
As long as Boar are seen and shot by some, then I enjoy the trip. If I can do all the shooting then better still, but that would make it not so enjoyable for the others ;)

Hi Nell,
I am going on the 17th November coming back on the 21st.
I have sussed him out before but never taken him up on his offer because I didn't fancy the three to four hour journey from Berlin to Poland by coach.
Did you get clobbered for £50 each way for your rifle last year ?
My outlook on return bookings are somewhat different to yours, If I don't do well this time I expect to do well next time or the time after that !! It's the law of averages.
As long as Boar are seen and shot by some, then I enjoy the trip. If I can do all the shooting then better still, but that would make it not so enjoyable for the others ;)

We are flying with Easy jet as we did last year, think its £25 each way, mate has sorted it as im abroad at the moment....
There seems to be plenty of pigs in the area, we had 52 head last year,not all pigs, few deer and a dog:cry:
Have friends that have hunted the same area, but not with Woodmills,also had lots of pigs can be seen on youtube on "Drivjakt polen safarimanagment" sorry dont know how to do links.....

glad yr bad news turned into good news, sure a big pig will come yr way too ,good hunting :D
regards norma

Eddie, we got an email from out hunt organiser saying about the £50 charge and that it also now also applies to the ammo box AS TWO SEPORATE ITEMS . So that would be £100 each way (£200). They charge for both the rifle case and ammo box.

We are cancelling out trip to bulgaria as this pushed the trip into no go price range. Better check if that's the case with your flights too.

Paul,
That could apply to ammo when it is boxed separately.
I have seen guys take their rifle cased, and ammo nicely boxed, to customs and it has been classed as two separate items.
They have also put their bolt in the box with their ammo because the box is bigger than neccessary for just forty or fifty rounds.
I always put mine in a small metal cash box and put it in my normal hold suitcase, sometimes it isn't even mentioned.
It won't be long before it will work out cheaper to get your own group together and drive over to the Continent.
Our trip to Berlin is costing two of us nearly £500. I am sure it would work out cheaper to drive over.
If it wasn't for the other 200 miles from Berlin to the hunting ground in Poland, I would drive over.
Angus, Sika98 of this site, is gettiing a group together to go to Hungary in January around the middle, he is looking for another five or six to make it viable so if you are stuck for a trip it might be worth contacting him.

Last edited:
Hi Eddy
Very glad you have got some sport sorted for the 17th. I hope it all goes well for you in Poland and sorry that you are not able to come on Franks tour .

Paul.
The cost of booking flights and connections on top of what you have to pay for your shooting does seem to be getting more expensive than going with a package through an reliable "Agent" with the flights included now a days!
And with hunting tips to go on top as well:doh:

Bob

I'm just so hacked off right now with the whole 'flights' thing. It's getting silly and I was thinking exactly the same thing as Eddie about driving. Now a few laugh at me when I tell them about driving the 300 miles up north to my woodland in the middle of the night to do a couple of stalks before driving back on the next evening but I like it and do it all the time.

Driving to Belin or even futher while not for some is my cup of tea. And I'm getting a 7 seater in the next month ;):D It's going to be easier and cheaper than flying!

Last edited:
I've just worked it out on Auto Route, It would cost me just over £140 for fuel and I could cover the 700 miles from my place to Berlin in a day.
I don't know much about the Euro Tunnel so that would have to be added on too.
My vehicle is a seven seater (small boot) but is more comfortable as a five seater with an enormouse boot so the problem then would be either parking at Berlin or driving the extra 200 miles, say another £40, so in all just under £400 for five with two days driving.
worth thinking about maybe.

Gets even sweeter when you spit cost 2-3 ways too and share the driving! Isn't there a ferry service that take you most of the way there?

Back