Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shotgun licence

shotgun licence

hi I said hello to this forum back in August sometime explaining that i was applying for shotgun and fac licences..

Now about myself..I had fac and shotgun licences which were revoked 15 yrs ago due to a domestic incident . Now i was not given a criminal record nor am i a wife beater..( still married to the same fantastic girl 24 yrs later) ..

Any how last year i was invited to join a syndicate which i 'ummed' and 'arrred' about, but decided to join..so this year August 15th my app for shotgun licence went in..with a hopefull follow up for the FAC

Now after my visit on the 13 Oct to inspect the cabinet ect ect i was told to expect the licence after 7-10 days......

To day i rang up to chase up said licence and was told everything was going swimmingly apart from something that has come up in the background checks..

Now 2 years ago my wife had a wee breakdown which resulted in a 999 call ..(son joined the army and posted over sea's..enough said)..

This was enough for a visit from the officer to say..my background and revokes are fine ect ect but my wife now has to sign a medical disclaimer as this 999 call is on record ?????

Now is this the norm? the licence is in my name, i have the keys, ect ect

Anyway my wife is now distraught as she thinks my licence wont be granted to to her.....Guess i'll stick to salmon fishing huh?....regards Lee

I suppose they're just covering their backs, but irritating for you all the same.

Personally, I think you'd have been better to apply just for a SGC, then apply for the FAC at a later date, after a year or so of trouble-free shotgun ownership. FAC application will inevitably trigger more checks than SGC application, and a good track record as a SGC holder would probably help ease the passage of the FAC application.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    I suppose they're just covering their backs, but irritating for you all the same.

Personally, I think you'd have been better to apply just for a SGC, then apply for the FAC at a later date, after a year or so of trouble-free shotgun ownership. FAC application will inevitably trigger more checks than SGC application, and a good track record as a SGC holder would probably help ease the passage of the FAC application.

+1

I would have thought all the background and medical checks would be done before the visit
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

that is what i Have done..just the SGC ...with a view for FAC at a later date...As my son (army boy) wants a deer rifle.....as we both have the same home add, thought i would apply for sgc then fac when he gets home......thanks for reply..

Si they were done as the sgc is in my name not my wife's ......this is what puzzles me...thanks for the reply

Well this morning is no better...Wife is making herself ill worrying about it, If I had any inclination that applying for a SGC would cause my wife this much distress I wouldn't have even considered it. I almost feel like ringing up and withdrawing my application, but my wife would blame herself for this as well, talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place. Might take her to the doctors to get her some antidepressants and put a final nail in the coffin. I understand that the police have to look at all aspects but i did not realise every member of the household has to be vetted, just the SGC holder.

Its not as though I'm married to a mass murderer just someone that had a hard time a couple of years ago, with this precidence should every SGC or FAC holder who is married to a lady going through the menopause and taking HRT have their guns removed from the household?

Anyway enough harping, guess I'll find out the outcome in a week or two....

You need to reassure her that it's not her fault.... tell her that you are not bothered either way and that she means more to you than a shotgun cert (try to keep a straight face when you say it though)... only joking.
    All you can do is get her to sign the disclaimer, although I'm not exactly sure what she'd be disclaiming against but just play the game. It's just so that a jobsworth FEO can tick a box that covers his own arse in the unlikely event that someone goes postal.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

The following, copied from police procedural guidelines for shotgun certificate applications, may be of interest.

Consider character and third parties (family, friends, associates, other residents) and where appropriate conduct PNC/CRO and criminal intelligence checks. Considerable care must be taken when conducting these checks as there is likely to be an infringement of Article 8 of the ECHR. The Family, Friends and Associates of the individual applying have a right to respect for their privacy and family life and Firearms legislation makes no provision for this right in respect of these persons to be interfered with. Any such interference must be shown to be necessary in the interests of public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, or the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
    The following, copied from police procedural guidelines for shotgun certificate applications, may be of interest.

• Consider character and third parties (family, friends, associates, other residents) and where appropriate conduct PNC/CRO and criminal intelligence checks. Considerable care must be taken when conducting these checks as there is likely to be an infringement of Article 8 of the ECHR. The Family, Friends and Associates of the individual applying have a right to respect for their privacy and family life and Firearms legislation makes no provision for this right in respect of these persons to be interfered with. Any such interference must be shown to be necessary in the interests of public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, or the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
    Thankyou for this information, It seems strange the FEO in question came with a medical disclaimer form already made out in my wifes name, ready for her to sign and date....

..basically I can get my SGC if i send my wife off to the nut house and divorce her..(tempted hehe!)..

regards lee