Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Up??

What's Up??

I'm from the US and upset that the police have control over your firearms. Is there a political party or movement within the UK that supports more freedom of gun ownership? I mean, its bad that a person has to give a reason to somebody why they need a gun. Its none of the police's damn business right? If you feel like a .243 is not a fit for the game you are hunting, you should be able to buy a .270 or .30 06 if you choose.

Whilst the laws relating to firearm ownership are not ideal, in my view they are a far better alternative to no regulation at all. I agree that one should be able to demonstrate a need. Living in a country where any nut job can pop down to Guns-R-Us and buy whatever they like is not that appealing to me.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Quote Originally Posted by neil_r View Post
    Whilst the laws relating to firearm ownership are not ideal, in my view they are a far better alternative to no regulation at all. I agree that one should be able to demonstrate a need. Living in a country where any nut job can pop down to Guns-R-Us and buy whatever they like is not that appealing to me.
    Well said. I'd rather our gun laws that how it is in the US.

Me too... I know we have to jump through hoops but I wouldn't want to see our laws relaxed. A fairer and more rational system yes, but not unregulated.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by UTGrad View Post
    I'm from the US and upset that the police have control over your firearms. Is there a political party or movement within the UK that supports more freedom of gun ownership? I mean, its bad that a person has to give a reason to somebody why they need a gun. Its none of the police's damn business right? If you feel like a .243 is not a fit for the game you are hunting, you should be able to buy a .270 or .30 06 if you choose.
    Gun laws are necessary in a civilised society to help in restricting criminals and people of unstable character from having access to weapons. Unfortunately IMO some UK gun laws go well beyond what is necessary and effective and are overly bureaucratic, expensive to administer and divert police resources away from maintaining law and order, especially when it comes to listing where and which creatures you may shoot on your certificate,good reason, expandable ammunition etc. The controls that we have on shotguns however are simple and effective and IMO ought to be applied to other classes of firearm. As to political parties etc. we are supposedly represented by various shooting organisations, none of which are particularly effective when it comes to political lobbying

Established data shows that 26.2 percent of Americans over the age of 18 suffer from a diagnosable mental health disorder, thats about 60million people which just happens to be about the same as the whole population of the UK.
    Given that the vast majority of these people with mental disorders can simple pop along to their local gun outlet and purchase a gun I think I rather like the UK approach........not the best but then very little legislation is.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Established data shows that 26.2 percent of Americans over the age of 18 suffer from a diagnosable mental health disorder, thats about 60million people which just happens to be about the same as the whole population of the UK.
    Given that the vast majority of these people with mental disorders can simple pop along to their local gun outlet and purchase a gun I think I rather like the UK approach........not the best but then very little legislation is.
    Sorry but this is a load and blown totally out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Gun laws are necessary in a civilised society to help in restricting criminals and people of unstable character from having access to weapons. Unfortunately IMO some UK gun laws go well beyond what is necessary and effective and are overly bureaucratic, expensive to administer and divert police resources away from maintaining law and order, especially when it comes to listing where and which creatures you may shoot on your certificate,good reason, expandable ammunition etc. The controls that we have on shotguns however are simple and effective and IMO ought to be applied to other classes of firearm. As to political parties etc. we are supposedly represented by various shooting organisations, none of which are particularly effective when it comes to political lobbying
    The highlighted passage above about sums up my views. I am perfectly happy to have the licensing system, I just wish it was applied fairly and with common sense.

Our Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) came up with a scathingly good wheeze not long ago, that the conditions on your firearms certificate should read "the license holder has permission to deer and any other lawful quarry", or fox and AOLQ etc. etc. This was supposed to free up time and standardise the licensing system. I think three of the English police forces, they are regional, introduced such a system. But on the whole we still have the idiocy of people only being able to shoot a fox while they are deer stalking, as if the rifle suddenly becomes safe when it is used for deer too!

The New Zealand system where they license the person, not the firearms seems to me to be about ideal, and therefore is unlikely ever to be adopted here.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by UTGrad View Post
    Sorry but this is a load and blown totally out of proportion.
    Would you like a pointer to the relevant research? Are you involved in mental health in the US and have knowledge of new research to rebuff that of others? I assure you its simply a statement of fact with supporting evidence.

Texas was second only to California for murders in 2010 (1811 CA vs 1246 Tx)862 people murdered using a firearm in TX, the Uk had 39 gun related murders for the same period........

In edit: reading this back I realise this could be taken as a personal pop at you (or americans in general), it isn't
    Last edited by limulus; 05-11-2011 at 12:26.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I don't see it as an attack on Americans at all, its just stating facts.