Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK Gun Laws

UK Gun Laws

Please forgive me, but I am learning about the gun laws in the UK and I wish you had more freedom to purchase firearms as you please. Let me first say that I think the UK is a wonderful country and the home of my ancestors (Walker), but is there a political party or movement within the UK that is pushing for more liberal gun laws? If I decided tomorrow that I wanted to buy a 300 win I could drive 10 minutes to the store, fill out a form, and buy the gun and 3 boxes of ammo and be home within an hour. Just curious if there will ever be an opportunity for this in the future or does the system work over there for the safety of the public.

Probably better that we can`t just nip to the store, fill in a form and head home with a a 300win.
    Most of us have no problems getting the guns we NEED,, It`s getting what we want thats the issue,, and due to various loonies,,we cant.

If I`m being honest, I myself, wouldn`t hold up US gun laws as an example of good law.

Quote Originally Posted by UTGrad View Post
    If I decided tomorrow that I wanted to buy a 300 win I could drive 10 minutes to the store, fill out a form, and buy the gun and 3 boxes of ammo and be home within an hour. Just curious if there will ever be an opportunity for this in the future
    The quick answer is no (and IMHO that's also the correct answer).

UK firearms law is complex, and would take pages to reply, but the basic underpin is that to obtain a firearm you have to demonstrate good reason to hold it. Good reason is not satisfied by "want".

Quote Originally Posted by Rake Aboot View Post
    Probably better that we can`t just nip to the store, fill in a form and head home with a a 300win.
    Most of us have no problems getting the guns we NEED,, It`s getting what we want thats the issue,, and due to various loonies,,we cant.

If I`m being honest, I myself, wouldn`t hold up US gun laws as an example of good law.
    'various loonies' have not only made their mark in the UK. I would not like to see US gun laws in the UK.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

On the other hand, I'm pretty fed up with UK gun laws in the UK. We've devolved so much power to the police that they have in effect begun to re-write the laws to suit themselves. The 1968 Firearms act and its various addenda are so cumbersome a piece of legislation that it fails to serve its purpose well. We would do well to take a leaf from some of our continental cousin's statutes. The German system seems to work quite well, with sensible filters to reduce the risk of firearms falling into the hands of the criminal and terminally stupid.

Popcorn anyone? This is going to be a long thread...

Quote Originally Posted by UTGrad View Post
    Please forgive me, but I am learning about the gun laws in the UK and I wish you had more freedom to purchase firearms as you please. Let me first say that I think the UK is a wonderful country and the home of my ancestors (Walker), but is there a political party or movement within the UK that is pushing for more liberal gun laws? If I decided tomorrow that I wanted to buy a 300 win I could drive 10 minutes to the store, fill out a form, and buy the gun and 3 boxes of ammo and be home within an hour. Just curious if there will ever be an opportunity for this in the future or does the system work over there for the safety of the public.
    Our gun laws originate to just after WW1 when King George V and the establishment were frightened of an armed revolution as had happened in Russia. These restrictions require valuable background checks into the good character of the potential gun owner and the rules that apply to shotguns (Firearms Act section2) work very well and once you receive your certificate you can acquire & dispose of guns and ammunition without further interference from the authorities. However, when it comes to Rifles (firearms act section 1) there is a great deal more bureaucracy that IMO adds nothing at all to public safety and state security. e.g. You are required to show "good reason" for each Rifle that you wish to acquire and need separate permission for expanding ammunition, individual permission to shoot deer, fox or boar and the police are allowed to add their own petty restrictions on how the guns are used. IMO all bone-fide sporting weapons ought to be available on section 2 but with our shooting organisations fragmented and weak compared to your NRA I think that is more likely that the section 1 controls will eventually be applied to shotguns
    Last edited by timbrayford; 04-11-2011 at 08:36.

Each U.S state has it's own laws, that must be confusing... if you cross the state line you are now under a different set of laws.

At least here we have a blanket policy (sort of) apart from minimum calibre and bullet weights for certain species.

Remember if anyone could own a firearm then the Police would also need to be armed. How much would that cost to equip and train every police officer in the U.K?... and that is actually a terrifying thought, our cops can't be trusted with a tazer.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

With the amount of restrictions, and the level of bureaucracy involved, in getting an FAC in the UK, I'm frankly surprised that there are so many involved in shooting sports as there are. Just goes to show that the 'bulldog spirit' lives on!

I'm much happier with the law in Denmark (despite it's many failings!). As long as I've passed my hunting test, and have a valid hunting licence, I've automatically got a 'good reason' to obtain shotguns, and sporting rifles of pretty much any calibre (I still need to get a licence for each rifle though!). There's also no requirement to have land assessed as 'suitable to shoot on with rifles of X calibre', or to have restrictions as to which kind of legal quarry I can shoot. We're all grown-ups and for the most part are treated as such by the authorities.
    Last edited by Tartan_Terrier; 04-11-2011 at 08:21. Reason: Additional info.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Remember if anyone could own a firearm then the Police would also need to be armed. How much would that cost to equip and train every police officer in the U.K?... and that is actually a terrifying thought, our cops can't be trusted with a tazer.
    Here in Northern Ireland all members of the police are armed with Glock 17 pistols, and a selection of them are issued with H&K MP5s and H&K G3s.

The police here are better armed than a small army.

The 2nd amendment to the US constitution was written to allow private citizens to keep and bear arms. The reason being is the original army that fought the British in the Revolution were private citizens. Each state has different laws but the right for a private citizen to own a gun is protected by the federal government.

As a fellow stalker I am proud to see pride in country exists today and if the gun laws work for the UK currently than that is fine. Let me add that convicted criminals usually have a hard time legally buying a gun, but if you have a clean record we have gun stores with thousands of rifles, shotguns and pistols that you can shop and buy as you please.

In a matter of fact, in Tennessee you can earn a permit and carry a semi automatic pistol just like the police lol! My friends carry one all the time to the store, church, movies, etc. If some crazy was going to try something we would light his ass up. More and more private citizens are getting the permit to carry a pistol and in some areas it is reducing crime cause criminals now have no idea who might have a gun.

I wish you guys could come shop and trade at one of our friendly neighborhood gun stores. The people are kind, conservative citizens, you get great service and you can buy anything from a .243 to an AK-47 semi automatic and maybe even a free cup of coffee lol!