Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAC land for use question

FAC land for use question

Apologies for posting this, as I'm sure it must have been asked numerous times, but I can't seem to find it using search.

At some point in the future (after DSC1 and plenty of stalks with experienced folk) I will be wanting to apply for my FAC. I was wondering if you have to have a specific piece of land available for stalking on in order to get an FAC for stalking, or if you can just apply saying you stalk at various sites on a paid for basis?

I am guessing the former so you have area X and any other land deemed suitable by the chief constable for that area as I have seen on many examples.

Thanks

Adam

Adam

The Home Office Guidance to the police (linked in a sticky thread at the top of the legal forum and well worth a read) states:

13.9 A person wishing to shoot over land should nominate in their application a specific area of land over which they intend to or have permission to shoot (this does not restrict their ability to shoot elsewhere where permission is also given), and provide written authority, where possible, from the person entitled to grant the shooting rights.

(Page 71 I think).

I've just jumped through all of the hoops and one of the things my FEO wanted to see was a map outlining my designated land (although interestingly this is mentioned nowhere on my Cert).

Hope that helps

Tom

I thought that was the case, my Uncle owns a farm where a friend of his has stalked for years so I'm hoping that will be OK for the application - fingers crossed I can get the "And all areas deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for that area" stipulation added so I can go on stalks on other land. Thanks for pointing out the HO Guidlines quote - I really should have read that first

In that case, you're in exactly the same situation as I was.

I have access to a farm in Worcesterhire, owned by an uncle. I had about a year of stalking experience behind me when I applied for my FAC and explained to my FEO that while I would shoot there, I would also be taking paid stalks around the country. I ended up with

"... shall be used for shooting deer and any other lawful quarry and zeroing on ranges and land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot."

Hopefully, West Sussex will take an equally sensible approach with you.

Tom

Sorry guys you're wrong on this one.

You do not need to nominate a piece of land to obtain a firearms certificate. Outings, either paid or otherwise, with an individual, business or organisation are a perfectly valid and accepted method of justifyiong 'good reason':

13.10 The named land need not be owned or
    rented by the applicant, nor need they have
    regular or automatic access to it. Farmers and
    landowners may allow shooters to shoot on
    their land, for payment or otherwise, on a
    formal or informal basis. An applicant need
    not always nominate a piece of land as
    evidence of “good reason”, but in such cases
    the applicant may be required, where possible,
    to provide written evidence, for example from
    a relevant organisation, a professional pest
    controller or of a booking to shoot.

I knew that I should have read further as opposed to getting on with some paid work this morning...

No wonder that FEOs (who presumably receive varying levels of training) get confused sometimes is it? The key word in 13.9 is should then ( as in A person wishing to shoot over land should nominate) as opposed to must. Given that I write weasle words like that for part of my living, I should have spotted that one!
    Last edited by Tom_Ov; 04-11-2011 at 13:31. Reason: spelling

When I took up stalking a couple of years ago I made a post on here (my first I think) asking how to get into it. I was pointed towards the BASC lease at Thetford and went for a stalk with Des Green. I immediately applied for my FAC putting that down as the place I was going to use my rifle. All went through fine - I still don't have any actual nominated land and haven't had a problem, I use my rifle for paid days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Ov View Post
    I knew that I should have read further as opposed to getting on with some paid work this morning...

No wonder that FEOs (who presumably receive varying levels of training) get confused sometimes is it? The key word in 13.9 is should then ( as in A person wishing to shoot over land should nominate) as opposed to must. Given that I write weasle words like that for part of my living, I should have spotted that one!
    I suspect that when they drafted the Guidance it was written in that order as the majority of applicants would be nominating land to shoot over. The 13.10 para then goes on to elaborate a bit about the land and adds the 'get out of jail free' clause for those who neither own, rent or have regular access to their own land. I suppose logically it had to be that way round.

EDIT: Adam there is no requirement for you to wait until you have DSC1 or plenty of accompanied stalks under your belt before applying for your FAC. It might in fact be beneficial to have your own rifle when you do go with someone so that you can build confidence in the kit. Maybe even do a short firearms familiarisation day/course at somewhere like Corimium or Calton Moor before going stalking.
    Last edited by Orion; 04-11-2011 at 14:59.

I concur, I'd start the conversation with your FEO now. I applied for mine straight after taking my first deer, but the police were going to put an 'accompanied stalking only' condition until I passed my DSC1, so I rushed that through and then got my ticket with no mentoring or supervision. Call them up, have a chat and get an idea of what hoops they're going to try and make you jump through then you can choose your battles wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I suspect that when they drafted the Guidance it was written in that order as the majority of applicants would be nominating land to shoot over. The 13.10 para then goes on to elaborate a bit about the land and adds the 'get out of jail free' clause for those who neither own, rent or have regular access to their own land. I suppose logically it had to be that way round.
    There must be a few M.P's, high ranking police officers, government officials and the likes who shoot.... and I suspect that if para 13.10 had not been added, some of them may not have 'good reason'
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox