Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deerstalker Hat

Deerstalker Hat

Hi gents,

Im looking to purchase a good quality deerstalker hat. Are there any websites you would recommend. Any googling I've done has just returned pages upon pages about Sherlock Holmes!!

Regards.

Last edited by flytie; 05-11-2011 at 13:10.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

I brought my Scottish Wool stalking hat from the Ski Shop at Avimoor. Not such an obvious place I suppose but places like this are well worth enquiring with.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer View Post
    Hi gents,

Im looking to purchase a good quality deerstalker hat. Are there any websites you would recommend. Any googling I've done has just returned pages upon pages about Sherlock Holmes!!

Regards.
    You must be mad! If your in the prone position you have to turn it 90 degrees or you can't see. There are a lot better alternatives.

Cheers for the advise! What would you recommend?

If its a deerstalker style hat you want you could get an ex mod " deputy dog" hat. The peaks and flaps will all fold up.

I wouldn't really go buying one of the net if I were you as the size is a bit critical, there is no adjustment or strech in the proper ones. I paid 49 for a local traditional tailors, no matter what happens to it whether it be the dog sleeping on it of falling in the sea the thing retains its shape regardless. The sizes too are funny when I was trying them on a size 57 would be to big but a size 60 would be to small. I'd say if you wanted a proper one hold out until you can try them on. A proper deerstalker is made of tweed and should retain its shape when you put it down rather than flop like the cheaper ones. If you want a traditional hat make it a proper traditional hat and not a cheap copy.

The harris tweed one in flyties link looks like the real deal.

I got mine here http://www.campbellsofbeauly.co.uk/

Sure there are alot beter alternatives but what are they?
    Last edited by aliS; 05-11-2011 at 16:12.

Mine is similar in style to the tweed on in flytie's links. It does not effect you shooting prone or any other position but then again it's not exactly the Sherlock type and has smaller brim which is why it works.

Have a look at these, Gortex or extreme cold weather. I have had both and for the hill they are great, in fact I still have a gortex one in my van for when its pissistantly raining! If its tradition then by all means get a deerstalker but make sure you take of your telescope and only use iron sights as well! or go for something thats functional.

GORETEX PEAK CAP
    Last edited by Paul 600; 05-11-2011 at 16:54. Reason: No hyperlink!