Rifle not firing properly

Stacey

Been out stalking a few times this week and had a few misfires, the rifle has a set trigger and this morning pushed the trigger forward to set it and it wouldn’t fire at all. It just clicked twice (and the deer ran away).
Does anyone know what could be causing the rifle to do this??

Stacey

The trigger it out of adjustment or dirty. Give it a good cleaning to make sure there is no build up of oil and solvent and see if that helps. My 7x57 trigger quit working this past month and this was the problem. I am finding set triggers to be a bother. I'd much rather have a well-adjusted conventional trigger.~Muir

You don't say what make and what trigger you have.. Some are more finiky that others. Had this once on the BSA CF2 with it's dbl sett trigger turned out to be a bit of debris under the safety catch not allowing it to go fully forwards.

Could be faulty ammo, excesive Cartridge head space etc etc. If you cant find the problem your self take the rifle to a gun smith.

Dave

Thanks for the advice, it worked fine tonight got 2 does. I'm not sure what has caused it to start doing this as it was monday that i had the first misfire. I stripped the bolt and cleaned it, which i thought would sort it. The rifle is an old brno so doesnt really go wrong, Its quite annoying because i like the set trigger.
It seems to be the first time you try to shoot it and after that it works fine?

Stacey

Last edited:
Sounds like a bit of fine adjustment is in order. If you look in the bottom of the safety lug recess if I remember correctly there is an adjustment screw. I cannot remember if it adjusts the sett trigger as I never used it.I took it off and replaced with the normal curved blade when my ZKK 601 was new. Should have instructions around somewhere but god only knows where. It might be worth making the sett weight a mite heavier and see if it helps.

Thanks for the advice, it worked fine tonight got 2 does. I'm not sure what has caused it to start doing this as it was monday that i had the first misfire. I stripped the bolt and cleaned it, which i thought would sort it. The rifle is an old brno so doesnt really go wrong, Its quite annoying because i like the set trigger.
It seems to be the first time you try to shoot it and after that it works fine?

Stacey

Clean the trigger group.~Muir

Yes the safety was off. I'm not sure whats causing it because it fired fine this morning. For some reason when you push the trigger forward to set it, then when you go to shoot it just clicks.
I cleaned the trigger group and the bolt again last night which i hope has sorted it

Stacey

Yes the safety was off. I'm not sure whats causing it because it fired fine this morning. For some reason when you push the trigger forward to set it, then when you go to shoot it just clicks.
I cleaned the trigger group and the bolt again last night which i hope has sorted it

Stacey

I am still feeling it's adjustment here. There might have been a tiny bit of wear over the years and now it's showing up a tweak on the adjustment might just bring you back. However without seeing the rifle and trying this out one can only speculate.

Think that's it sorted now, adjusted it a little and that seems to have fixed it. Thanks for the help.

Stacey

Mate had similar problem on one of his rifles,can't remember which rifle. It turned out to be barrel solvent on the trigger mech. A good clean sorted it
Al

Back