Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada is banning the british style gun registry

Canada is banning the british style gun registry

Great news

its wasted billons of tax payers dollers
    the new government are in the process of removing the registry
    great news for law abiding gun owners over here
    cheers dan

I dread to ask this, knowing what governments are like, but what will replace it?

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

its going back to the old way
    you buy a gun/rifle show your certificate pay for gun/rifle end of story
    no paperwork, no records
    like the old shotgun certs used to be in in britain !
    the new gov have admitted that gun registry has not benefitted crime prevention at all and has been a huge waste of money which is why its being scraped as we speak.
    there admitting theres no point in controlling law abiding gun owners.
    It was part of there election mandate earlier in the year and won them many votes.
    They are honering there word it seems.
    cheers dan

Great news!! How soon does it take effect?

its gona be a few weeks as theres some opposition to also destroying the past records.
    the banning of the registry has all ready been passed, now to just sort out the old records,
    and its history

Nice! You hunting mulies or whitetail?

both
    I shot the mulie in my avetar last week,he was a huge buck easy 300 pound
    looking for a whitie on the 17th
    Last edited by conibear; 06-11-2011 at 04:51.

Quote Originally Posted by conibear View Post
    its going back to the old way
    you buy a gun/rifle show your certificate pay for gun/rifle end of story
    no paperwork, no records
    like the old shotgun certs used to be in in britain !
    the new gov have admitted that gun registry has not benefitted crime prevention at all and has been a huge waste of money which is why its being scraped as we speak.
    there admitting theres no point in controlling law abiding gun owners.
    It was part of there election mandate earlier in the year and won them many votes.
    They are honering there word it seems.
    cheers dan
    I hope that our shooting organisations will take note of this and become substantially more proactive in lobbying our politicions to liberalise UK gun laws i.e. replace FA section 1 with section 2 controls

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    I hope that our shooting organisations will take note of this and become substantially more proactive in lobbying our politicions to liberalise UK gun laws i.e. replace FA section 1 with section 2 controls
    I agree with the sentiments above wholeheartedly.

There is no wonder that a lot of my nephew's friends have moved to Canada, and both my children would like to emigrate there or to New Zealand. A surprising number of their friends express similar views, all seem to think this country has had it. A sad state of affairs when all the young university students and graduates that I know are thinking of emigrating.

Simon
    Last edited by flytie; 06-11-2011 at 07:27.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    Tim.Simon

Whilst I would also like to see this I think that realistically there is zero chance of it happening.

The shooting organisations are lobbying hard enough to keep the existing controls, let alone fighting for them to be liberalised. There is no way on God's green earth that any political party of substance would make this part of their election mandate. Why would they, as there are no votes in it for them? Do you think 100,000 members of CA and 120,000 members of BASC matter to a mainstream political party? Hardly!

Fundamentally there is a difference in attitudes between the UK and Canada - and sadly many other countries. Here in the UK the media pushes firearms as dangerous, full stop, and the chance of finding a balanced program about hunting is minimal. A simple example; at any airport in the world I can buy local magazines about hunting and shooting - any airport outside the UK that is. Our population is largely urbanised with little or no desire to understand where their food comes from or to relate the food on the plate to an animal population that needs to be managed. Despite the efforts of campaigns such as Game-To-Eat, it is a thankless task trying to convince the majority that hunting/shooting is acceptable. It's not that the majority is against it, they are ambivalent and don't understand it, or even wish to understand it. On the other side you have the huge charities that are the RSPB, RSPCA and National Trust who relentlessly pursue the anti agenda. They have millions of pounds at their disposal and millions of members, and sadly for most of our MP's it's those numbers that count. So we have a powerful and largely "anti" media, an apathetic population, and powerful and well-funded lobbying bodies working against us. Not what I would call a recipe for success.

Our field sports organisations do an admirable job, but are not adequately funded as effective political lobbying organisations. I know we're talking about Canada, but as an example the NRA's revenues in the US for 2009 were $307m and they spent $14m on political campaigning in the same period. With this type of revenue and almost 4.5 million members they are truly a force to be reckoned with. BASC and the CA have a fraction of that funding (I don't have the BASC Annual Report to hand but I heard that the CA operates on annual revenues - annual revenues!! - of roughly 4m per year). The amount of work they do lobbying on our behalf is frankly incredible given the resources at their disposal.

Sadly, our fieldsports organisations are chasing a largely finite number of members, hence the constant battle to win over members from "the other side". Unlike in the US and elsewhere, most members of such organisations in the UK pay their membership and neither have, nor want, any other involvement. I would expect most members of fieldsports organisations in the UK feel that money spent on lobbying is money wasted, and they'd rather have their membership fees reduced. This apathy from some is incredible, but no guesses that they will be the first to complain when further restrictions are threatened or introduced.

I would love to be proven wrong...but I'm not holding my breath.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!