Canada is banning the british style gun registry

Well some people are frightened to live without a lot of control.
Personally I like living my honest crime free life without big brother watching me too closely.
How is gun crime in britain now, with the strict gun control policy ?DO YOU THINK ITS BETTER NOW OR THE OLD WAY?

According to Government statistics gun crime has actually increased over the period of the handgun ban. Gun crime by law abiding firearms holders is negligable compared to nefarious deaths by other means.

One quote from a Government minister had car related deaths at 4000 per annum, deaths by poisoning, knifing and manualy inflicted deaths at 400 and the last idiot Derek Bird who went berserk sadly shot, I think (?), 14 people.

Unfortunately Derek Bird did hold a firearms certificate. But taken over a longer period the amount of innocent people killed by lawfully held firearms is tiny when compared to deaths inflicted by knives, cars or blunt instruments. This does nothing to take away the sadness of such an incident, but does put it in perspective.

Simon

Edit: Dom, I did not reply to you post as I agreed with you entirely, we stand little to no chance of recieveing fair or just treatment from the Government. However it does not mean that I think the status quo is desirable or worth keeping. I can dream of a fair and just society without having the expectation realised.

S.

Edit: Apologies for the wrong attribution.

S.

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiments above wholeheartedly.

There is no wonder that a lot of my nephew's friends have moved to Canada, and both my children would like to emigrate there or to New Zealand. A surprising number of their friends express similar views, all seem to think this country has had it. A sad state of affairs when all the young university students and graduates that I know are thinking of emigrating.

Simon

It's a sad fact that many young people struggle to see a future for themselves in the UK where they won't be taxed to death and there isn't really the hope of "making it".

I know I felt that way and have got out of the UK. If I hadn't been offered my current job, I'd have completed my Canadian application papers I'd started and done my damnedest to get a job over there. Australia and the US would also have been high on my list.

In many ways I love the UK but if you're young it does look very bleak at times I'm sorry to say.

ATB,

Scrummy

Back