Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapest copper jacket bullets

Cheapest copper jacket bullets

Has any one got an idea where to get the cheapest copper jacket expanding Bullets? I don't really care what make it is as this will be reserved for "fowling up the barrel" after a good clean up. my rifle takes about 20 rounds to do that after a damm good clean and I don't want to waste a box of expensive ammo doing it. I now privvy would do the job but I'm just going to start reloading and don't really want to buy factory ammo agian so suggestions for heads only would be very well received.

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    Has any one got an idea where to get the cheapest copper jacket expanding Bullets? I don't really care what make it is as this will be reserved for "fowling up the barrel" after a good clean up. my rifle takes about 20 rounds to do that after a damm good clean and I don't want to waste a box of expensive ammo doing it. I now privvy would do the job but I'm just going to start reloading and don't really want to buy factory ammo agian so suggestions for heads only would be very well received.
    just buy Privi bullets they are about 17x100 for FMJ and if you must use expanding then how about Sierra pro hunters? about 22-25 last time I bought some
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    just buy Privi bullets they are about 17x100 for FMJ and if you must use expanding then how about Sierra pro hunters? about 22-25 last time I bought some
    If you use prohunters you may find they are your definative round. theve always worked for me. Regarding the original question, look in gun mart they always have lists of reloading stuff with prices. I think the PPU is the cheapest. Suprised your rifle needs so much to get back to zero!
    Last edited by pete evans; 05-11-2011 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    Yep expanding only as they are the only ones on my ticket. so where is the best place to get the sierra's. If I could get a mould that would take copper jackets I would pour some myself.

Nah, you can't make cheaper than you can buy and quality assurance is there with the bought stuff. Buy sierra, it's great

Have you thought about going about things in the other direction, perhaps changing your cleaning regime? In a factory barrel it is not desirable to totally remove all the fouling, as you will experience the problems you describe. I would suggest you switch to a less agrresive cleaning product, and dont clean the barrel to within an inch of its life. I would suggest Wipe-Out as my personal favourite.

You don't need expanding bullets for fouling shots, and besides they are a 'collect-only' component.

I wouldn't regard Sierra ProHunters as second best as I use them as 'best'!

You can order FMJ bullets through the post. Even spotty schoolboys can under the Firearms Acts if they fancy some. Depending on what calibre you're after, Henry Krank @ Pudsey, Leeds stock Prvi FMJ.... or you can get them from the man below:-

http://www.peterlawman.co.uk/reloading
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    Yep expanding only as they are the only ones on my ticket. so where is the best place to get the sierra's. If I could get a mould that would take copper jackets I would pour some myself.
    You don't need specific permission to purchase non expanding bullets!

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    You don't need specific permission to purchase non expanding bullets!
    Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by danpd View Post
    Have you thought about going about things in the other direction, perhaps changing your cleaning regime? In a factory barrel it is not desirable to totally remove all the fouling, as you will experience the problems you describe. I would suggest you switch to a less agrresive cleaning product, and dont clean the barrel to within an inch of its life. I would suggest Wipe-Out as my personal favourite.
    Yeah my standard cleaning is not so hard but it just came back from the gun smiths and he went to town on it