Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading problem

Reloading problem

I went to the range today to try some reloads and discovered an irritating problem. Although my rifle fires factory rounds ok around 30% of my reloads did not fire. Basically the firing pin is not hitting the primer! If I recock the rifle they usually go off, I have taken care not to seat the primers any deeper than 5 thou and I am full length sizing (.243 cal). Anyone had a similar experience? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sounds like you have pushed the shoulders back and created too much head space. Hence the firing pin not hitting the primer. Full length sizing ....... you have over done it. Not all dies require screwing down to touch the shell holder.

Sounds like the primers are not seated deep enough or there may be some debris in the firing pin hole.

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyeopen View Post
    Sounds like the primers are not seated deep enough or there may be some debris in the firing pin hole.
    Deep enough ??? surley they are to deep ?? as Brithunter suggests full sizing has pushed the shoulders back therefore creating to much head space.
    Do you need to full size ??

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Is this a Blaser R93 by any chance?
    Blaser r8 although I had the same problem with the r93. I suspect that Brithunter might be right but is there any way of measuring this with calipers? I have lee dies mounted on a lyman turret press.

I suspect you are correct and BH is on the money. As I'm sure you are aware there is a misfire problem with Blaser R93s, hence why I asked. I experienced it with factory ammo and with a reliable witness. Despite what the Blaser internet fanbois might have you think the bolt was firmly closed. However, we carried out some experiments and the person with me, also a Blaser owner, said he had seen it before and removing and replacing the bolt solves it! I've no idea how this might work as it makes no sense but it is what we did and rounds that previously refused to fire then fired just fine. Next time it happens to you it might be worthwhile to try this though I suspect your problem is totally unrelated to the known Blaser problem, also I've never heard of it happening with an R8.

I should highlight that this happened on one occasion and that there are probably 2000 rounds through my rifle so I have no complaints about the performance of the rifle in general at all.

I have had a suggestion that I am not seating the primers correctly and the firing pin is pushing them further into the case, hence they fire on recocking, although I wouldn't dismiss the idea of there being more than one problem

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Sounds like you have pushed the shoulders back and created too much head space. Hence the firing pin not hitting the primer. Full length sizing ....... you have over done it. Not all dies require screwing down to touch the shell holder.
    As ever, I think Brit has hit the nail on the head. I suggest you get some of the following kit and measure the length to the shoulder on some factory brass that you have freshly created today. Then adjust your die to produce brass 1-2 thou shorter to the shoulder. I am concerned that you have been resizing blindly.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...ion_gauges.pdf

Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    As ever, I think Brit has hit the nail on the head. I suggest you get some of the following kit and measure the length to the shoulder on some factory brass that you have freshly created today. Then adjust your die to produce brass 1-2 thou shorter to the shoulder. I am concerned that you have been resizing blindly.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...ion_gauges.pdf

Regards JCS
    Many thanks for this valuable advice, I used an OAL gauge last week with the assistance of a friend well experienced in reloads, we got consistant results so I am reasonably happy with that, however I did not think to ask about the headspace gauge, I shall try to obtain one of these asap