Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Variation Rethink

  1. #1

    Variation Rethink

    I know there have been a few threads on variations recently but I don't want to hijack any of them. Essentially my only centrefire at the moment is a 6.5x55 that gets used for everything. Topped with a Swaro 6x42 it has earned its keep foxing and stalking roe and muntjac. I have recently started to use it extensively on park sika and fallow and I am finding it a wee bit light. After discussion with the FLO I am putting in for a variation.

    This is where it gets interesting, and I have a few decisions with which I would like a little help.

    1) .308 or .30-06 for the bigger calibre? As far as I can tell ballistics are so similar it barely makes a shred of difference. I would like this rifle to do everything, everywhere, until I have the need and the opportunity for the really big beasties.
    2) Do I keep the 6.5x55? In its favour I enjoy shooting it, it is accurate and it has performed excellently on fox and roe. In the negative column I could sell it for more than a replacement would cost, and sourcing reloading components for fox loads is a challenge. Indeed many don't see it as a suitable foxing rifle.
    3) If I get rid of the 6.5x55, should I try to cover a few bases with a .243, or should I leave all deer to the .30 cal and request a .22 centrefire for foxing?

    Any thoughts? There are two Parker Hales, one in 243 and one in 308, that I have my eye on, but it would cause a lot of hassle haveing to sell on bits and pieces, get variations and buy new scopes.

  2. #2
    Keep the 6.5 Swede and apply for a 30-06 and a foxing calibre, .243 is a great foxing round but there are better, 22,250 220. 223

    Sticks

  3. #3
    interesting read i have a 223 for fox and have just applied for a 6.5 to make myself deer legal and also to carry on foxing with it
    as i dont really want one rifle for this and one for that why is a 6.5 deemed not suitable for foxing i find it interesting to read
    different views

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by liamnjs View Post
    2) Do I keep the 6.5x55? In its favour I enjoy shooting it, it is accurate and it has performed excellently on fox and roe. In the negative column I could sell it for more than a replacement would cost, and sourcing reloading components for fox loads is a challenge. Indeed many don't see it as a suitable foxing rifle.
    I've made the mistake of selling a rifle that has served me well. I regret the expense and aggravation of applying for a variation, finding a new rifle(s), buying mounts, cleaning gear, ammuntion etc to end up with something not that different from what I started with. I've just returned to a using a 6.5x55 having tried .270, .308 & 7mm-08, and it cost me a lot of money on the way.

    If you find you do need something a bit heavier for certain jobs, then a 30-06 would get my vote as it can be used for pretty much everything, including plains game in Africa.
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 06-11-2011 at 18:57.

  5. #5
    Get a 30_06 for everything.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by d foxxer View Post
    why is a 6.5 deemed not suitable for foxing i find it interesting to read
    different views
    I agree, who says it isn't?

    If it's resistance from the authorities even the HO Guidance confirms suitability:

    13.23 Common rifle cartridges considered
    suitable for the shooting of foxes range from
    .17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250
    and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range
    of suitable similar calibres commercially
    available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets
    aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to
    use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes
    they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or
    6.5mm (.264) calibre.


    I see you are from Kernow, what does your FAC condition say? Most D&C open certs will have only one condition covering all firearms and ammo for all species, i.e. my .308 is conditioned for deer and any other lawful quarry, so includes fox, vermin, etc.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by d foxxer View Post
    interesting read i have a 223 for fox and have just applied for a 6.5 to make myself deer legal and also to carry on foxing with it
    as i dont really want one rifle for this and one for that why is a 6.5 deemed not suitable for foxing i find it interesting to read
    different views
    Orion is right, I should clarify. It's not an issue with licensing authorities in my case, I have my 6.5x55 conditioned for deer and fox. Those who do not deem it a foxing calibre are mostly on here, for example EnfieldSpares, who is very knowledgeable on such things, recently described the calibre as worse than useless as a varmint calibre! I would imagine it is to do with fast twist rates and long throats on many 6.5x55s. In my experience it is also quite hard to source the three varmint bullets produced in the calibre, namely varminters, TNT and VMaxes. I've been toying with trying some 108g Scenars as recommended on another thread, but obviously that is really target ammo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks
    Keep the 6.5 Swede and apply for a 30-06 and a foxing calibre, .243 is a great foxing round but there are better, 22,250 220. 223
    Ah Sticks you will lead me astray! Alas my funds won't do justice to two new rifles on top of the Swede.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68
    I've made the mistake of selling a rifle that has served me well. I regret the expense and aggravation of applying for a variation, finding a new rifle(s), buying mounts, cleaning gear, ammuntion etc to end up with something not that different from what I started with. I've just returned to a using a 6.5x55 having tried .270, .308 & 7mm-08, and it cost me a lot of money on the way.

    If you find you do need something a bit heavier for certain jobs, then a 30-06 would get my vote as it can be used for pretty much everything, including plains game in Africa.
    Some sound advice there, thank you.

  8. #8
    my cert at the mo is open to vermin ground game/fox zeroing on ranges/land over which holder has lawfull authority to shoot
    that covers my 22 17 and 223 i hope it will be different for the 6.5 i am applying for as i have mentiond deer control and rented stalking
    and occasional fox as for who said 6.5 not suitable the OP mentions in his first post that [many deem it unsuitable for fox]
    thats what i found interesting and was wondering why i see you are devonion great county nice people i married one might come up that way
    when i get sorted better stalking opportunities from what i can gather

  9. #9
    liamnjs, okay, that's good that you're free from fiddling by the plod. I'd also like to hear about practical reasons for the Swede not being a good fox cartridge. Interesting what you say about the subject, I'm guessing some of it must be down to stability with the lighter/shorter bullets?

  10. #10
    Me from your choices I would go with a .308.

Similar Threads

  1. variation
    By PKL in forum Legal Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-03-2011, 13:38
  2. Variation Through
    By Dekit in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 09:39
  3. Variation has come through
    By groach1234 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 30-07-2010, 16:02
  4. Sent off my variation
    By groach1234 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-06-2010, 21:03
  5. One for one variation
    By musty in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 29-06-2010, 17:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •