Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stupid question

stupid question

stupid question but here goes, is it possible to remove live primers from cases without them exploding. If so how do you do it ?

regards biker1
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

I would of thought you could just push them out like a used one but dont hold me to it i have never had to remove one that hasnt been used

Yes you can de-prime live primers in the same way as you would fired primers, but carefully, and as always wear eye protection just in case. Don't however try it with crimped in primers such as used on some military ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Yes you can de-prime live primers in the same way as you would fired primers, but carefully, and as always wear eye protection just in case. Don't however try it with crimped in primers such as used on some military ammunition.
    +1 i have done plenty like this

thanks guys il try it tomorro when the wifes out regards biker1
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

Account Suspended
    I can't imagine that you'd want to use salvaged primers in another load so why not "pop!" them first, using your rifle, pointed in a safe direction of course, then deprime as usual? ..

I know some people say "nonsense!, I've pressed out zillions of them with out a problem" To those, I'd say... so what? ... and... just what do you do next, with mangled live primers?

have taken loads out of homeloads that I have inherited.
    I wont use mixed primers or loads I didn't see assembled so I pull them all.

on that basis the primers don't get reused, but for 3p loss I am not bothered

I have set off more primers seating them (grand total of 2) than I have ever set off removing live ones (0)

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    have taken loads out of homeloads that I have inherited.

.................................................. .................................................. ..........................

I have set off more primers seating them (grand total of 2) than I have ever set off removing live ones (0)
    To that, I'd say... so what? ... and... just what do you do next, with mangled live primers?

Put a drop of light oil into the top of the case. Once it's soaked into the primer it won't go off. I got that tip from an ex army armourer now gunsmith.

fraser

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Put a drop of light oil into the top of the case. Once it's soaked into the primer it won't go off. I got that tip from an ex army armourer now gunsmith.

fraser
    What do you do next? ... I mean with the oily case interior.