Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good evening from Latvia

good evening from Latvia

After finding Australian hunting forums a little too blokey and American forums too, well, American, the feeling from reading the Stalking directory has been juuuust right! Must be something about the british sense of humour.<br><br>I'm a actually a diclocated Aussie living in Latvia and very keen hunter when I have the time. Love both the high seat and the thrill of the driven hunt, plus I've been to Africa a couple of times. Unfortunatley stalking in its true sense is difficult here as the animals dont particularly come out of the forest without some encouragement.<br><br>Have 6,5x55 Tikka, 30/06 Sako and 9,3x62 Sako rifles plus the shottie for ducks. Have felled many fox, roe and&nbsp;piggies here, though have yet to land a trophy red or moose.<br>Actually the roe have been decimated by the last two particularly hard winters with deep snow. Most clubs have a self imposed ban on hunting them until the numbers improve.<br>I am a keen reloader, which is a rarity here. I like to load mainly Woodliegh projectiles, though am currently cooking up some cheaper 9,3 Speer and Prvi loads for running boar target training.<br>

Good evening and welcome.

Matt

Welcome, Nice calibre range you have!

Welcome to the site Latman!

Looking forward to hear about your hunting in Latvia.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome Latman,

Hope to hear about your exploits in more detail.

Ewich

Hope to have some expoits to write up soon! Last was 2 weeks ago.

Up a 5 metre tower covering a field whilst the adjacent forest was being driven for principally moose. The beaters hadnt even started when a boar came roaring out of the forest about 100m away. Fired the 9,3x63. Still running, fired again, no effect, again, then the 4th time. Had to work the bolt fast as he was heading into a some shrubs, then would soon disappear into the next forest. Didnt see him leave the shrubs. No other animals seen, or other shots heard. 30 or so minutes later when the beating had finished, I left the tower to look for the boar, or at least blood sign. Sure enough, "he" was in the shrubs. Actually turned out to be a lonely big ancient sow. Only hit once, in the gut, but the 250gr Woodliegh angled forward to go through the liver and a lung. Bullet recovered perfectly mushroomed in the opposite shoulder. Need to work move on the running board target to improve my shot percentages.

Next time I will remember to take some photos for you.

Well done, photo's are always good!

Interesting account. Accuracy kills

Quote Originally Posted by Latman View Post
    Hope to have some expoits to write up soon! Last was 2 weeks ago.

Up a 5 metre tower covering a field whilst the adjacent forest was being driven for principally moose. The beaters hadnt even started when a boar came roaring out of the forest about 100m away. Fired the 9,3x63. Still running, fired again, no effect, again, then the 4th time. Had to work the bolt fast as he was heading into a some shrubs, then would soon disappear into the next forest. Didnt see him leave the shrubs. No other animals seen, or other shots heard. 30 or so minutes later when the beating had finished, I left the tower to look for the boar, or at least blood sign. Sure enough, "he" was in the shrubs. Actually turned out to be a lonely big ancient sow. Only hit once, in the gut, but the 250gr Woodliegh angled forward to go through the liver and a lung. Bullet recovered perfectly mushroomed in the opposite shoulder. Need to work move on the running board target to improve my shot percentages.

Next time I will remember to take some photos for you.
    Where abouts in Latvia are you?