Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 for fox

6.5 for fox

i am a foxer at heart but just applied for variation for a 6.5 x 55 as i would like to get into the stalking game
    i normally shoot 223 but might sell it because dont really want to run two centerfires i was reading a post
    by someone who says many deem the 6.5 as not good for foxing apperently one went as far as to say that its
    a worse than usless caliber for fox i find things like this intresting reading and would like to hear from the many
    as to why in their opinion the 6.5 is not suitable also would like to read from those who are for the 6.5 iam not trying
    to open a can of worms i find that by reading differing opinions much can be learnt over to you gents

I have a 6 1/2 and it's suitable for anything in the UK. If you shoot urban foxes you may want to go light say 100 grain BT just for added safety but remember what ever caliber you use you must have a SAFE BACKSTOP!

Foxxer
    you will find many on here who are probably mainly keyboard worriers who like to think themselves Experts
    The real people who shoot a lot dont bother going on about calibres it gets boring
    All calibres send lead out in an arc and if you shoot at moderate range all are very similer.
    6.5 seems to be a widley used very versitile cal coping well with wide range of loads it is comfortable to shoot
    Yes it is a good all round cal is accepted on every estate I know of from munties to big reds for deer.
    many proffesionals use it.I have tried all sorts over the past 40yrs and its the first out of the cabinate most of the time pointed in the right direction it will do all you need

I've used a 6.5x55 with 95gn vmax on fox and it was fine, as deer man says just watch your backstop as you will mostly get an exit with them.
    If you are comparing it to something like a 22/250 with vmax where all the energy is dumped in the fox and the bullet doesnt exit then it won't be as good but 6.5 is a good fox/deer bullet

Quote Originally Posted by bbrc View Post
    I've used a 6.5x55 with 95gn vmax on fox and it was fine, as deer man says just watch your backstop as you will mostly get an exit with them.
    If you are comparing it to something like a 22/250 with vmax where all the energy is dumped in the fox and the bullet doesnt exit then it won't be as good but 6.5 is a good fox/deer bullet
    Out of interest what powder you using for the Vmax,

kindest regards
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by bbrc View Post
    +1 on this. I loaded 95g VMAX for my 6.5 with full laod of varget (obviously worjked up to that load0. It shoots sub moa at 200 yards and has a manageable drop out to 300 yards. I ahev shot peltny of foxes with it, but they do exit and pretty much cuts a fox in half at ranges upto 140 yards so you need to be careful where you use it. I use my 22.250 (and about to get a 204 too) for most of the land I shoot at but will still use the 6.5 on one particualr piece of land thats out in the wild very windy and shooting foxes at long range. Obviously the round is much slower that a 22.250 which on a twitchy fox at sub 150 yards isnt ideal. I like to hear the impact as soon as I have touched the trigger but at 200 yards with the 6.5 you can obviously hear the round travelling out to its target (at night). I woudnt say its the ideal foxing round but its certainly more than capable in the right circumstances.

I use 100gr Sierra Varminters from my 6.5x55, they shoot to the same point of aim as my 129gr SST's at 100yds. It is an excellent calibre for just about anything in the UK. It will do the job.

Some folks get hung up over FPS and have to have the fastest bullet out there. Personally I only carry one rifle at a time and the 6.5 will do the job nicely. I would have bought a .308 to start with if my Firearms Department had let me have it for fox too, but the largest calibre they would let me have for fox and deer was a 6.5, so that is what I bought.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by GarryS View Post
    Out of interest what powder you using for the Vmax,

kindest regards
    Garry
    I had good results with Accurate arms 4350 and hodgdon h380 on the 95ers
    rgds

thanks to all who replied especially about the bullet exit luckily i know my patch well and always bait up in front of a good back stop
    i will load light for fox any one know whats the lightest bullet i could use for fox with 1in 8 twist

Not sure about the absolute lightest you could use but I load sierra varmint 85 grain in my 6.5x55 for fox, shooting less than an inch at 100m no problem.

Rifle is a Tikka T3 Varmint and my load is:
    VV N150 - 44.5 grains
    Lapua Brass
    CCI 200 LR Primer
    OAL 70mm
    Velocity 1000m/s

Here's a link to the VihtaVuori reloading data:
    http://www.lapua.com/en/products/rel...ata/relodata/5
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here