Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Deer

Water Deer

I've seen some pics of the Water Deer and those things are really fascinating! I have a few questions:

1) Are they good to eat?

2) They look pretty small...are they difficult to stalk?

3) What is the prefered caliber? Looks like a .30 06 might be a bit much for the job.

4) What's the population like of these deer in the UK

Here.... Let me google that for you

everything you need to know about chinese water deer
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

A mate of mine has shot a fair few including a number of medal class animals. A couple of things you won’t perhaps see in the links, they are considered pretty easy to stalk, not as wary as other species, minimum legal calibre is 22CF with a 50gn or over game bullet. 30-06 would be a bit more than enough, but something is never too dead.

ATB

Tahr

30.06 is more than you need, but would still be acceptable. It is certainly not too big.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

And amazingly, 375 h&h would produce less meat damage

I did an article a while ago where I shot one with a 25.06 with a ballistic tip which then ran a LONG way!
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...hings-turn-out!

They are great to eat and not particularly difficult to stalk.
    There is a fairly dense population in a couple of small areas if that makes sense?!
    They explode like a feather pillow when hit too!
    MS

never understood how a 50gn bullet doing 3000+fps is deemed less damaging than a nice fat 150-160gn doing 1900fps

30-06 would be fine

I have shot everything from hoody crows, foxes, roe deer, red hinds and calves and big hefty woodland stags with a 130gn 270.

none of them looked like a road accident and none of them laughed off the injury

given the fragility of some of the smaller species I find that often the 308/30-06 with a sensible bullet will not make as much mess as say the 243. When I have guys shooting these and they want to get them mounted I always advise something like a 308 with TSX that shouldn't make too much damage.

CWD also have notoriously fragile hair that comes away very easily.

Rgds,
    K

Quote Originally Posted by UTGrad View Post
    I've seen some pics of the Water Deer and those things are really fascinating! I have a few questions:

1) Are they good to eat? Yes very tender, not too gamey and mild flavour compared to Reds and Roe

2) They look pretty small...are they difficult to stalk? Not particularly if fact I think they think they are hares half the time! Love to lie down out in the middle of large ploughed fields hoping you can't see them. well at least around Beds/bucks area where I have hunted them they do

3) What is the prefered caliber? Looks like a .30 06 might be a bit much for the job. I would say 30-06 and .270 is definitely way too much meat damage for such a small deer. I have shot them with .223 which is ideal and 123gn .308 without too much damage. .243 should be ok too

4) What's the population like of these deer in the UK. from what I gather quite a restricted area in Beds and Bucks but I'm not sure why?