Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good hunt.

A good hunt.

I went out this afternoon with my trusty 7x57 on the first mule deer hunt of the season. It was great. A total of eight does came down off of the bluffs. Around dusk I worked my way towards three fat does that were roughly heading my direction along the base of the bluff. I hunkered down along a ditch line waiting for the deer to come into view.

It was perfect! The lead doe came into view with chest and head above the sage brush at a distance of 75 yards. She was fat and had a fine even coat. I placed the dot reticle of my ancient Weaver 4x on her chest, took a breath, and yelled “bang!” She trotted off only mildly amused. It was 4 minutes after legal shooting hours.

Maybe I’ll run into her tomorrow.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    sounds good. whats a bluff?
    Surely you remember the Old TV quiz show with Frank Muir presenting it in his Bow Tie:-

Call my Buff

Buff in the American context is a type of Hill I believe..................... over to the other Muir?

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    sounds good. whats a bluff?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluff_(disambiguation)
    H
    ave a look under "Geography" on that page

ha ha ha, feels good to see them walk away, knowing you could have just pulled the trigger but didn't.

I sometimes do it myself, sometimes just because I don't feel the deer needs be shot and I've had an equally thrilling stalk whether I pull or not. I prefer not to scare it too much though, and just slowly sit up and let it realise there's something not right, avoiding it storming off - but I also get a secret enjoyment of a deers 'surprise look' when they realised they've been negligent of keeping an 'eye out' - LOL.

Using the Rokon I assume?

4 minutes huh ? ! - - well done Muir for being so self disciplined - - - a few folk would have just assumed that their watch must be running fast !

ATB

JR

A bluff is indeed a low, broad, steep-faced hill: a low-rent butte.
    No Rokon this time. We took my buddy's pick-up truck and walked the base of the hill. I'm taking the Rokon into some bottom country this weekend for some handgun hunting.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by JRoe View Post
    4 minutes huh ? ! - - well done Muir for being so self disciplined - - - a few folk would have just assumed that their watch must be running fast !

ATB

JR
    Well, fair is fair. Besides, our local game warden is a lively cuss. If he hears a shot after legal shooting hours he will find you and you will lose your rifle and your vehicle.... and they don't care about your watch. They only pay attention to their own.~Muir