Thread: Hmr ammo

Hmr ammo

Just bought a brick of 500 Hornady 17G red tips for the HMR. My last batch have lasted me nearly 2 years and I bought them from a chap that had them for nearly 2 years...Iíve read a few threads over the past year or so where people have complained about the ammo being produced to less quality that a few years back so I was intrigued to see if there was a difference in the groups and across the Chrony.

Frist impressions were that the red tip is no longer red, its Orange. Possibly a cost cutting exercise to same on die in the plastic J but the boxes were the same apart from the print being different.

From a warm barrel both 5 shot groups were within 1cm at 100 yards (was a slight breeze on and off so should have been better, can normally get this hole in hole at 100 yards) but the new rounds were slightly tighter. Both POI were the same and out to 150 yards the drop was also the same. Across the Chrony the old ammo averaged 2534 ft/sec and the new 2542 ft/sec so not much in it but the new rounds slightly quicker. Overall...no difference in real shooting terms.

I guess its possible that the old rounds may have been better when first produced and have degraded slightly over the past 4 years? Any thoughts?

my first thought is good effort if you can get them all in the same hole at 100yds, even without the slight breeze!!
    think these things are produced in such volume that it is unlikely to be batch number that affects quality otherwise you would see high %age complaints from one box/brick whereas it seems to be sporadic.

I have had worse results with Remington (high level of split cases >5 per 50) than any other whereas one guy I sold my Rem ammo to would only buy that and no other brand!!

don't think the rabbits or crows will notice a 8fps increase (or you for that matter) and given the percentage that represents you could probably see that spread of MV's inside one brick.

what rifle just out of interest?

Just for your info most 17 home ammo is made by cci and Hornady is one rem is another

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    my first thought is good effort if you can get them all in the same hole at 100yds, even without the slight breeze!!
    think these things are produced in such volume that it is unlikely to be batch number that affects quality otherwise you would see high %age complaints from one box/brick whereas it seems to be sporadic.

I have had worse results with Remington (high level of split cases >5 per 50) than any other whereas one guy I sold my Rem ammo to would only buy that and no other brand!!

don't think the rabbits or crows will notice a 8fps increase (or you for that matter) and given the percentage that represents you could probably see that spread of MV's inside one brick.

what rifle just out of interest?
    Its a CZ452 American full length barrel. Ive played with the trigger and fitted a kit to it. Really accurate rifle and its not BS that on a good day ive punched hole in hole best was 3 in a row but in general it cloverleafs all day without a breeze. Just goes to show that a budget rifle can perform well. Agree 8ft/sec aint gunna make any difference what so ever. Pleased though that the new rounds are as good as the old though. From what I had read I was expecting them to be poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontail killer View Post
    Just for your info ALL 17 hmr ammo is made by cci
    Paul
    fixed it for you.
    all comes out the same factory.
    doesnt take away from the fact that some brands appear to be worse than others.
    Remington has a worse reputation than CCI and Hornady from the horror stories on the web

Thanks mate but I think you will find it was right to start with

Paul

Thanks mate but I think you will find it was right to start with

Paul
    nope,
    they now do all manufacture

I was informed by a local dealer that the colour change in the bullet heads of the Hornady ammo was due to them having a massive unsold stock of HMR2 rounds so they pulled the stock apart and reused them for normal HMR'S.

As I said most not all

A growing number of companies offer .17 HMR ammunition. It is true that CCI actually loads all of the .17 HMR ammunition for the CCI, Federal, Hornady, and Remington brands. However, the ammunition is loaded with different bullets to different specifications. This article will only cover brands and loads that are reasonably well known in the U.S.A. Fortunately for our international readers, most of these brands are also well known in the rest of the world. Here, in alphabetical order, is a list of the brands that will be included in this roundup:CCIFederalHornadyPMC RemingtonWinchester/Olin

I am not sure what your point is above but you said:
    most .17 hmr ammo is made by cci
    this is not the case.
    ALL HMR ammo is made by CCI.
    It does not matter what brand is on the box whether is be Hornady or Sellier and Bellot.

either way that does not explain or justify crap quality control and there are clear issues with some of the "brands" more than others.
    that bit I can't explain
    maybe they use lower quality brass for some brands or have had some pass through various batches that have overlapped brands.
    Maybe they just had to step up production to a level where quality comes second.

Seems to still produce the same fussy rifle issues with some liking one brand over another.

either way it will probably not harm the image as a split case doesn't appear to affect POI and only becomes an issue if the neck gives way it gets stuck properly.

Squib rounds are by far the more dangerous element of the drop in quality.