Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Boar 'Managers' bbc want a chat...

  1. #1

    Boar 'Managers' bbc want a chat...

    The bbc got in touch about the e-petition and wild boar etc and want to do a piece that included the positive benefits of wild boar including sport and paid for high seat hunting opportunities that their presence can offer. This will be shown perhaps in comparison to other options that the FC are using to remove/control the boar which seems to ignore their positive benefits. The environment and science editor was very nice and seems to be genuinely interested in the future of wild boar. Damage and concerns would also be shown so it seems like a fair piece they are looking to do.


    Drop me a pm if you are currently managing boar and would be prepared to have a chat on/off camera. Don’t worry though, the lady I talked to wouldn’t be giving away your boar locations for obvious reasons!

    Cheers
    p

  2. #2
    I was interviewed by a lovely lady from the BBC about 10 yrs ago on the same subject, and she was not the usual anti, but very un biased, well not totally as her father ran a shoot somewhere.
    Article was for BBC South West if I remember correctly.
    Was a good interview on the whole.
    As for giving away locations, do what I did, be filmed in a farmers paddock, no where near the boar.

  3. #3
    Just remember if you are being interviewed and you say somthing wrong or it is not as you would like it swear or say **** immeaditly .this trick is used by professional presenters so dont hold back if you get it wrong first time.last time I was interviewed the presenter did his bit about six times before he was happy it was quite funny really.

  4. #4
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    The bbc got in touch about the e-petition and wild boar etc and want to do a piece that included the positive benefits of wild boar including sport and paid for high seat hunting opportunities that their presence can offer. This will be shown perhaps in comparison to other options that the FC are using to remove/control the boar which seems to ignore their positive benefits. The environment and science editor was very nice and seems to be genuinely interested in the future of wild boar. Damage and concerns would also be shown so it seems like a fair piece they are looking to do.


    Drop me a pm if you are currently managing boar and would be prepared to have a chat on/off camera. Don’t worry though, the lady I talked to wouldn’t be giving away your boar locations for obvious reasons!

    Cheers
    p
    Don't fall for that "nice lady from the BBC" ... in fact, never mind her at all.

    What are the actual intentions of the programme makers, what editorial control will you insist upon retaining and what have you done to safeguard the interests of others?

  5. #5
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Please tell us that you are NOT so naive as to be prepared to proceed with only "verbal" assurances and suchlike placatory noises.

    On the other hand, if you've got a proper handle on the situation good luck and I look forward to seeing this, no doubt, interesting and balanced piece about people who kill escaped pigs for sport.

  6. #6
    Having talked in detail with the Science and Environment Editor in detail who was clued up on this issue and very objective we have a chance to get the issue some exposure from our view point. Currently there is this idea being promoted by some sides that the boar are feral pests that must be heavily culled which behind the scenes actually means kill everything you can including sows with dependants at foot. Morally that is clearly wrong.

    On the other hand some of us realise that they can be an ecological benefit that can provide sporting and financial return from their management. Land owners can capitalise on their presence (letting out the boar rights/selling the meat) if they better understand them but many people simple don't understand them as a species. What gets me is that the boar is a species that deserves much more consideration here in the UK as an animal that everywhere else in Europe is respected and valued even if they are a pain!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Please tell us that you are NOT so naive as to be prepared to proceed with only "verbal" assurances and suchlike placatory noises.

    On the other hand, if you've got a proper handle on the situation good luck and I look forward to seeing this, no doubt, interesting and balanced piece about people who kill escaped pigs for sport.
    Well, what can I say? That kind of mistrusting stance is what allows people to develop the wrong impression about hunting and game management across the board.

  7. #7
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    =paul at barony;280263


    Well, what can I say? That kind of mistrusting stance is what allows people to develop the wrong impression about hunting and game management across the board.
    You are obsolutely correct Paul. I'm on your side and I can do it in two sentences (or less)

    Imagine what someone could do if they were NOT "on your side".

  8. #8
    Very true but rantings about the beasts aren't very objective and that's not what is been looked for... I hope!

  9. #9
    Any media professional will have the story they want to portray already fixed in their mind, the information/interviews they receive will be edited to achieve that goal. Which is fine if it happens to coincide with the what the interviewee's aims were, but can more often than not end up very far away from them.

    I might be a bit jaded about this but having been interviewed by journos a couple of times about 'deer management', only to see them used in somewhat senstionalised articles on the hunting v shooting theme, I'm personally suspicious of them all and their possible ulterior motives.

    Good luck though if anyone does decide to take this on.

    BTW. If anyone being interviewed thinks they can exercise some kind of 'editorial control' on overall content, then I think they are sadly mistaken.

  10. #10
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bonnie Scotland
    Posts
    3,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    BTW. If anyone being interviewed thinks they can exercise some kind of 'editorial control' on overall content, then I think they are sadly mistaken.
    I'm sure a quick word with Max Hastings (it'll cost) and you will discover that's not entirely true.

Similar Threads

  1. Lincolnshire. meet for chat and drink?
    By Brithunter in forum Events and Meetings
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24-07-2012, 17:52
  2. Farther and Son Chat
    By squirrelnutkin in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-04-2011, 20:14
  3. Deer managers course
    By zazzydog in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-08-2010, 09:32
  4. An interesting chat with an old cowboy.
    By Muir in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-07-2010, 17:00
  5. any one available for a quick re loading chat on the phone .243
    By mosa in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-05-2010, 20:04

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •