Renewal for Rabbit Control

mark-joppa

I have just put in for renewal letter for a campsite I shoot on.They have come back to me asking for the following;

• Do they have any qualifications (i.e. certificates of training)
• If applicable in Scotland are they licensed to carry out pest control?
• Do they also have appropriate public liability insurance?
• Do you need local authority approval to carry out shooting on site?
• Will they supply you with their risk assessment and method statements?

I think the rabbits have been on a managment course over the summer.

Anyone else hit this brick wall .Welcome to life in 2011.

Who are 'they'?

Has there been a change of ownership or management since you last had a permission letter from them?

The Caravan Club

I have been told there Health and Safety Policy last year could be put on the reverse of a stamp.They have sourced outwith and new policy has gone the other way !

• Do they have any qualifications? GCSE's
• If applicable in Scotland are they licensed to carry out pest control? every land owner in Britain has a legal responsibility to control the rabbit population on their land
• Do they also have appropriate public liability insurance? join BASC NGO
• Do you need local authority approval to carry out shooting on site? no-one does unless its a Local Authority owned site
• Will they supply you with their risk assessment and method statements? just ask, or write your own and get them to sign them

You cant blame them, its the way of the world, if something goes wrong then they will have to point the finger at someone. Put your price up and if your not charging then tell them you need an admin fee.

I know its madness though.

Thanks for the points.Emailed back and covered there points as best I can.I await there response.

Some years ago i applied for a squirrel clearance job in a block of forestry in the middle of nowhere ,hard to imagine that i know but there were no hedges to it and no adjoining woodland and a scheme was set up to try and eradicate the grey as a trial .The long and short was that the forestry commission had signed this over to Wessex Woodland and it was they who dealt with the running of it .Their health and safety asked companies and their operatives to go on a course,pre tender ,to get a feel for what they were quoting for as to best practice and guess what ,there was to be no shooting at squirrels in trees :eek: ,no drey poking :doh: but the operator could carry a gun to shoot at squirrels on the ground around the pheasant feeders :lol:.Fenn trapping was the order but these had to be inspected three times a day ?I never finished the 2 day course and never tendered either .I did hear though that the place is still heaving with tree rats .It was their health and safety policy that rendered it unworkable .Drey poking is the key to any squirrel attack as it stands to reason any at home are shot and any new ones built are dealt with the same ,its those that live in holes in trees that are the buggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just put in for renewal letter for a campsite I shoot on.They have come back to me asking for the following;

• Do they have any qualifications (i.e. certificates of training)
• If applicable in Scotland are they licensed to carry out pest control?
• Do they also have appropriate public liability insurance?
• Do you need local authority approval to carry out shooting on site?
• Will they supply you with their risk assessment and method statements?

I think the rabbits have been on a managment course over the summer.

Anyone else hit this brick wall .Welcome to life in 2011.

I have emailed you some paperwork if that helps:D

Some years ago i applied for a squirrel clearance job in a block of forestry in the middle of nowhere ,hard to imagine that i know but there were no hedges to it and no adjoining woodland and a scheme was set up to try and eradicate the grey as a trial .The long and short was that the forestry commission had signed this over to Wessex Woodland and it was they who dealt with the running of it .Their health and safety asked companies and their operatives to go on a course,pre tender ,to get a feel for what they were quoting for as to best practice and guess what ,there was to be no shooting at squirrels in trees :eek: ,no drey poking :doh: but the operator could carry a gun to shoot at squirrels on the ground around the pheasant feeders :lol:.Fenn trapping was the order but these had to be inspected three times a day ?I never finished the 2 day course and never tendered either .I did hear though that the place is still heaving with tree rats .It was their health and safety policy that rendered it unworkable .Drey poking is the key to any squirrel attack as it stands to reason any at home are shot and any new ones built are dealt with the same ,its those that live in holes in trees that are the buggers.

Easy peasy to get the ones in the tree holes. Once you have seen the spot, get up early into place before day break. 17hmr lined up directly in front of the tree hole. Squirrels rise in my patch about 15 minutes after sunrise. As they wake up they come out cautiously one at a time and you can pop them off one at a time. Done it time and agin :D. If you need to shoot on the ground spread some nuts on the ground at a convenient safe spot. I find a squirrel feeder on a tree gets them use to calling in for breakfast. Last meal for a grey, free meal for a Red. :thumb:

Surely risks and methods are taken into concideration on every trip out with a firearm of any nature, probably from the moment you pick up the keys to the gun cabinet . Just a case of putting it on paper in the right format .
Even though its a pain in the ___ you can get general guidance of how to prepare a risk assesment and method statements on the HSE website you will just need to adapt the headings to the activity being carried out .
Best of luck

Back