Thread: First fallow for 2011

First fallow for 2011

Sunday morning found myself and Bandit Country in a nice wood after our first fallow off this patch. We split up and i found myself stalking down through an area of pine trees which then go into a nice dingle where the braodleaf starts.
    BC had taken the other path which is above the dingle that I was stalking and he would come down the loop to meet me where I would be waiting.
    Slowly made my way down the path, stopping and glassing every 10yards or so looking for the grey ghosts. Then I noticed a black shape about 80m away through the trees,a solitary fallow was browsing along a small deer path just about a small boggy area.
    Every so slowy mad emy way down closer but every time I moved he then moved behind a tree or I had trees in my line of sight so no shot was on. This seamed to take for ever but at last he was in enough of a clearing where I could move to the next tree and use it as a support. Sticks up against the tree, hand on top, then brought the rifle up. Always in the back of my mind that there are another 5 pairs of eyes watching me that I haven't spotted.
    He now moved again behind another tree, wait he will move again, then he moved again showing his front half of his body. safety off and the 30-06 barked and down he went with a low neck shot at about 60m.
    Waited, watching , no movement. Text BC to say buck down. Made my way to the buck where BC joined me.

No we could test the folding gambrel and hoist that I had made up at work ( we have been quiet) for a suspended gralloch

After that was done we could test another bit of kit that BC had made up for this ground, due to the fact that you can't get a vehicle very close we have to drag everything out. BC went back to the truck and got his drag sled out. Got the buck tied in and off we go.

This wood is very steep and the next photo has flattend the incline out a lot, it's bad enough walking up it let alone dragging it out.

In the words of another forum member (he knows who he is) YOU SHOT IT YOU DRAG IT!!!!!!!!

Got him back to the truck and off home to get him weighed and into the fridge.

A good weight 90lb. Head and feet off.

Jonathon

how did the homemade gembrel hold up? looks the part and the sled is that made from a thick plastic sheet (tarp)

Nice one Jon
    first of many off the new patch I hope.

Wayne

Some nice home-made kit there mate .Always good to get one under the belt on new ground .

That ground looks steep. How far did you have to drag him? You must have been knackered?

Well done, Paul

Quote Originally Posted by marko View Post
    how did the homemade gembrel hold up? looks the part and the sled is that made from a thick plastic sheet (tarp)
    Gambrel held up a treat. the sled is made up of a tough flexi plastic that can be rolled up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1st Pattern Paul View Post
    That ground looks steep. How far did you have to drag him? You must have been knackered?

Well done, Paul
    Yep its steep in parts . You need one leg sorter than the other to walk on the banks. The drag was about 200-300m, no that far but far enough when it's all up hill.

Jonathon

Bejesus Jono, that rope long enough through those pulleys, how high you gonna suspend those beasts?

Well done mate, like Chris's drag sledge nice & simples.

Cheers

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!