Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please enlighten me.

Please enlighten me.

Hallo all. As some of you might know from my previous posts, I am kind of new to stalking, so please excuse my ignorance on the issue or the daftness of the question on some of the items.

I was reading several 'equipment' threads where people list the stuff they take with them stalking (on their person or in their vehicle) and although I could see why they carry some of that stuff, some other items gave me a harder time understanding. I am only asking as none of the items bellow is on my list, so I just want to make sure I will not get caught out. Please can you help? Many thanks!

chest spreaders
    Small pulley hoist
    'S' hooks

(Do you guys butcher the animal on the field and need these three?)

Plastic bags

(what are these for? picking mushrooms etc?)

spade
    Secuteurs

pruning saw
    20" bow saw

(do some of you clear their way through undergrowth and forest to get to the desired shooting area?)

para cord
    LED headlamp

(I have no idea why these would be useful)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    Hallo all. As some of you might know from my previous posts, I am kind of new to stalking, so please excuse my ignorance on the issue or the daftness of the question on some of the items.

I was reading several 'equipment' threads where people list the stuff they take with them stalking (on their person or in their vehicle) and although I could see why they carry some of that stuff, some other items gave me a harder time understanding. I am only asking as none of the items bellow is on my list, so I just want to make sure I will not get caught out. Please can you help? Many thanks!

chest spreaders
    Small pulley hoist
    'S' hooks

Plastic bags

spade
    Secuteurs

pruning saw
    20" bow saw

(do some of you clear their way through undergrowth and forest to get to the desired shooting area?)

para cord
    LED headlamp

Chest spreaders, s hooks and pulley hoist. = gralloching.
    Bags for offal. (optional)
    Spade secatuers etc. Yes and arounds highseats etc..
    Paracord for carcass dragging.
    LED lamp. Hopefully not for carcass finding but twilight shooting can go on "a little"
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Lot a gear alright. People have got a lot of time on their hands just to think of all that stuff. Everything we need is carried in on our backs so the only practical thing I can see there is the LED head torch!
    paracord? just get it on your back and away!

I suppose it depends on what type of stalking your doing, yest it would be ideal to have all these bits and pieces in your vehicle if you are on some kind of expedition, but say if you are hill stalking you have to carry it, so you travel light, cos the chances of you seeing your vehicle all day are pretty slim or would be too far to nip back for the bow saw! always looking for kit that lightens the load. Bins, Rifle, Ammo, Knife, Rope.

Last time we went to Scotland I used my wife's fiesta because it gets twice the MPG than mine, she asked me how I would fit all my gear in?

Gun, ammo, binoculars, knife and a drag rope..... No problem

I also keep a small LED torch and a pair of latex gloves in my jacket, but that's it.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post

chest spreaders
    Small pulley hoist
    'S' hooks

Plastic bags

spade
    Secuteurs

pruning saw
    20" bow saw

para cord
    LED headlamp

Some of these items are definitely in the "lily gilding" class, e.g. 'S' hooks, pulleys and chest spreaders, which are normally larder tools but then again I believe some people do go and virtually set up camp on there shooting ground. So, for them, these sorts of item would be appropriate.

The thing is I'm not sure if you're asking because you don't know what the equipment listed might be needed for or... because you just don't see why it would all be taken to the place where you would stalk. Which is it?

Incidentally, headlamps (i.e. lamps worn on your head) have become a "must have" item, l.e.d. ones in particular... as they are far superior to old fashioned hand-held torches and believe me when I say, if you stalk in the afternoon/evening (or even just in dense conifer plantation) at some point you will run out of daylight before you recover every beast to your vehicle.

Spades to bury grallochs, perhaps dig latrines etc.
    Pruning and cutting gear to remove obstructing foliage which may have grown in front of high seats and doe boxes, or to create hides. Though a clean well maintained folding pruning saw is also handy for sternum splitting.

And... as every boy scout knows, you should always have a piece of string in your pocket.... para cord is string for big boys.
    Last edited by Tamus; 08-11-2011 at 08:21. Reason: decided to just explain it all

Spade for burying gralloch?

Si well said.chap I go with in Scotland would laugh me off the hill if I carried a lot of the stuff listed you have it about right remember to put bolt in rifle when leaving accomodation. I have been up the hill with one Idiot who left his bolt one day and Ammo the next in the digs
    In the end the owner/stalker said never darken my doorstep again with him in tow,I felt right some will never learn thought he had more sense and would not need wet nursing

Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    Spade for burying gralloch?
    More like for digging your pickup out of the bondo. I can't see why anyone would bury the gralloch, think of all the corvids and buzzards you'd be depriving of a meal.

Head torch would be pretty essential if your planning stalking at dusk.

I find you only need rifle, bullets, knife, bino's, little torch, dog (plus dog biscuits + lead) and tissue paper. Everything else is extra, I do keep a little bone saw in the pick up though for splitting the pelvis and chest before putting it into the dealers on the way home but that's it.

I did forget my knife recently but luckily the lad who came with me brought a small folder, I'm planning one of the wee key ring knifes now to go on my jacket zip in case I forget. I recon you could sutibly gralloch with a 1" knife, just bleed out from the diaphram after taking te guts out.

Account Suspended
    Get the best pratice guide and all will become clear.

Btw, I've never even met anyone who carries a spade stalking either.